I've started taking Linear Algebra this quarter and am feeling very

In summary: Just make sure you have a good reason for it.In summary, the author is feeling burnt out from math and is considering whether or not it is due to outside factors such as homelessness. He recommends that the reader take a few minutes and ask themselves if they still want to learn math, and if they are focusing too much on the grind and stress. He also mentions that on applications for scholarships and whatnot, there is usually a spot wherein you can explain why you may've had a semester with grades that don't measure up to your usual standards.
brf4n
I've started taking Linear Algebra this quarter and am feeling very burnt out when it comes to math.

Last quarter I was so interested in math that I founded the math club at school, but now I honestly don't give a **** anymore. Not getting along with certain teachers, especially the "faculty adviser" that was appointed to me for the math club really drained me.

Linear Algebra should be simple, since I'm most comfortable with matrices and numbers, but I don't know. I don't care anymore.

Is this common? How do you guys stay interested when outside factors take away from your interest/concentration/motivation?

Physics news on Phys.org

I've come up with a somewhat facetious aphorism that I find is all too often applicable in undergraduate physics and math courses (of which I've taken a few - I'm just starting grad school in physics): "School takes the fun out of learning." The point is that it can be rather easy to get caught up in the hassle and stress of assignments, midterms, finals, etc.

I would recommend that you take a few minutes and ask yourself whether
a) you really no longer wish to learn math, or
b) you're focusing too much on the grind and stress, and forgetting to step back and appreciate the fun and beauty of math.

For me, it has consistently been option b) whenever I've found my motivation reserves low.

sizzleiah said:
I've come up with a somewhat facetious aphorism that I find is all too often applicable in undergraduate physics and math courses (of which I've taken a few - I'm just starting grad school in physics): "School takes the fun out of learning." The point is that it can be rather easy to get caught up in the hassle and stress of assignments, midterms, finals, etc.

I would recommend that you take a few minutes and ask yourself whether
a) you really no longer wish to learn math, or
b) you're focusing too much on the grind and stress, and forgetting to step back and appreciate the fun and beauty of math.

For me, it has consistently been option b) whenever I've found my motivation reserves low.

I know for a fact it has to do with me being somewhat homeless, and having to sleep on my parent's couch day in and day out (there are barely any places to rent in my area). It's really depressing.

brf4n said:
I know for a fact it has to do with me being somewhat homeless, and having to sleep on my parent's couch day in and day out (there are barely any places to rent in my area). It's really depressing.

Well, it seems fairly clear that you're going to have to somehow deal with this source of depression before you can really concentrate on mathematics again.

I should mention that on applications for scholarships and whatnot, there is usually a spot wherein you can explain why you may've had a semester with grades that don't measure up to your usual standards. I know, from speaking with professors on admissions committees, that these sorts of things are taken into consideration. That is, if you screw up your linear algebra class, it needn't be the end of the world.

1. What is Linear Algebra?

Linear Algebra is a branch of mathematics that focuses on the study of linear equations, matrices, and vector spaces. It involves concepts such as vector operations, matrix operations, linear transformations, and systems of linear equations.

2. Why is Linear Algebra important?

Linear Algebra is important because it has a wide range of applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, economics, and computer science. It provides a powerful tool for solving complex problems and understanding the relationships between different quantities.

3. What are some key topics covered in a Linear Algebra course?

Some key topics covered in a Linear Algebra course include vector operations, matrix operations, determinants, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, linear transformations, and systems of linear equations. Other topics may include diagonalization, inner product spaces, and applications of linear algebra.

4. How can Linear Algebra be applied in real life?

Linear Algebra has numerous real-life applications. For example, it is used in computer graphics to create realistic images, in data analysis to identify patterns and relationships, in economics to model supply and demand, and in physics to describe the motion of objects. It is also used in engineering for circuit analysis, control systems, and signal processing.

5. What are some tips for learning Linear Algebra?

Some tips for learning Linear Algebra include practicing regularly, asking for help when needed, understanding the underlying concepts rather than just memorizing formulas, and using online resources such as video tutorials and practice problems. It is also helpful to review and reinforce previous topics as you progress through the course.