Masters at current university, and then somewhere else for PhD

In summary, the student is considering staying at their current university to get their masters and then applying to other PhD programs after they have more experience in the field. They are unsure if they will get published if they stay at their current university, but they are also unsure if they will get accepted to other universities if they change their mind later.
JD88
I am a senior and I want to get my PhD in mechanical engineering. Until recently I was applying to graduate school to go directly for my PhD in what I will call Topic A. This semester I began working on a project with a professor in Topic B that is completely unrelated to Topic A. I am really enjoying this new project and I am considering going to graduate school to obtain my PhD focusing on this new field. However this new topic is not only unrelated to my previous interests but it is also very new to me. I have no prior research experience in this field.

So I am considering staying at my current university to obtain my masters and continue working on my current project and then applying to other PhD programs after I have more experience in this field. My professor has told me that if I choose to do this he will fund my masters with an RA so I can continue working on my project.

Now, staying at my current university is really not my first choice because I am ready to go somewhere new. Also all of the other schools I have applied to are ranked much higher than my current school. (this isn't that important to me, just stating a fact). So I am wondering, if I decide I really do want to study this new field would it be better to stay at my current university for my masters and then move or would it be ok to go to another university and try to get into this new field there even though I have already sent in my applications stating I am interested in the old field? I am still interested in the old field, I am just not sure which one I want to study more.

A few other things. If I stay at my current university to obtain my masters I think it is unlikely that I will get any publications because what I am currently working on is really more of a design and construction project than a research project. This project is brand new for the professor and will eventually be used for new research, but if I only stay for my masters I am not sure there will be much that is publishable. Would this be bad if I have a masters but no publications?

On the plus side, some of my undergrad credits will transfer to my masters so I won't have to take as many classes.

And this project is funded completely by NASA and I wouldn't be surprised if there were some good networking opportunities.

So which sounds like the best option?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would read and become more informed about your two research interests before making a decision. What opportunities will they grant you? Are the two related in some way and can you combine them? It is difficult to help you without knowing what areas of research you are interested in.
Talk to lots of people: your advisor, students and faculty at your potential Phd university, etc.
Just so you know, if you decide not to go to the universities you applied to for now and then later change your mind, it is likely that they will reject you the second time you apply. This happened to one of my Professors.

Erebus said:
Just so you know, if you decide not to go to the universities you applied to for now and then later change your mind, it is likely that they will reject you the second time you apply. This happened to one of my Professors.

Really? If I got accepted now and turned them down, you don't think they would offer again one to two years later. I can see why they might not accept me the second time, but do you think that would always be the case? What if I don't get accepted now?

What is the benefit of getting a Masters at my current university before pursuing a PhD elsewhere?

Getting a Masters degree at your current university can provide you with a strong foundation in your field of study and make you a more competitive candidate for PhD programs. It can also help you develop relationships with professors who may be able to provide letters of recommendation for your PhD applications.

Can I transfer my credits from my Masters program to a different university for my PhD?

It is possible to transfer some credits from your Masters program to a different university for your PhD, but it ultimately depends on the specific requirements and policies of the university and program you are applying to. It is important to research and communicate with the admissions office of the PhD program you are interested in to determine their transfer credit policies.

What should I consider when choosing a different university for my PhD?

When choosing a different university for your PhD, it is important to consider factors such as the reputation and ranking of the program, the research opportunities and resources available, the faculty and their areas of expertise, and the location and cost of living. It is also important to consider your own research interests and whether they align with the strengths of the program and faculty at the university.

Can I still pursue a PhD in a different field than my Masters degree?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a PhD in a different field than your Masters degree. However, you may need to complete prerequisite courses or demonstrate a strong understanding of the new field in order to be accepted into a PhD program. It is important to thoroughly research the requirements and expectations of the PhD program you are interested in to determine if you are a suitable candidate.

What are the potential challenges of pursuing a PhD at a different university than my Masters?

Some potential challenges of pursuing a PhD at a different university than your Masters include adjusting to a new research environment and culture, building new relationships with faculty and colleagues, and potentially facing differences in academic expectations and requirements. It is important to thoroughly research and carefully consider your options before making a decision to pursue a PhD at a different university.