Torn Between Studies: Physics & Nanotech/Aerospace

• Thread starter Kevin_Axion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Studies
In summary: In summary, the conversation discusses two fields of study that have interested the speaker, Theoretical Physics and Nanotechnology/Aerospace Engineering. The speaker is fascinated by the mathematical elegance and simplicity of ideas in Theoretical Physics, specifically in Quantum Gravity, Particle Physics, and Condensed Matter Physics. However, the speaker is hesitant to pursue Physics in university due to the difficulty in finding employment and working in their area of interest. On the other hand, the speaker sees Nanotechnology/Aerospace Engineering as a field that is becoming applicable to the world and has a high demand for researchers and engineers. Despite their fascination with Theoretical Physics, the speaker recognizes the better employment opportunities and
Kevin_Axion
There are two fields of study that have amazed me by their intriguing complexity and potential for the future. These are Theoretical Physics and Nanotechnology/Aerospace Engineering. I've loved Theoretical Physics because of the Mathematical Elegance and simplicity of ideas. My fascination in Theoretical Physics is mostly in Quantum Gravity, Particle Physics and Condensed Matter Physics. My reluctance to enter Physics in University is derived by how difficult it is for Physics Undergraduates and possibly graduates to find a Employment, even if I do find employment I won't be doing research or working in what I'm interested in. Nanotechnology/Aerospace Engineering on the other hand is the closest field to Theoretical Physics and it is a becoming applicable to the world and hence their is great demand for these researchers and Engineers. I'm driven to Theoretical Physics because of my fascination but Nanotechnology/Aerospace Engineering provides similar sophistication and unique ideas and includes better employment, opportunities, and ability to sustain myself financially. I would love to hear your thoughts on my perception so that I can make my decision and will be satisfied with it.

Thanks, Kevin

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1) Double major?
2) Perhaps it's not an issue, because "nanotech engineering" is not offered at my school, I've never actually heard of it as a specific undergraduate engineering degree, so perhaps it's a more prominent graduate degree? In which case, you could do your undergrad in physics, and at that point choose whether you want to study theoretical physics or nanotech engineering (I'm sure a physics undergrad degree will give you better ground to choose between the two).

Actually the University of Toronto and University of Waterloo both have Nanoengineering as an undergraduate: http://nano.uoftengineering.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the difference between physics and nanotechnology?

Physics is the study of matter and energy and the interactions between them, while nanotechnology is the manipulation and control of matter at the nanoscale (1 to 100 nanometers). Nanotechnology is a subfield of physics that focuses on the unique properties and behaviors of materials at the nanoscale.

2. How does aerospace engineering relate to physics and nanotechnology?

Aerospace engineering involves the design, construction, and operation of aircraft and spacecraft. It heavily relies on principles of physics, such as aerodynamics and thermodynamics, to optimize the performance of these vehicles. Nanotechnology can also play a role in aerospace engineering by improving the materials and components used in aircraft and spacecraft, making them lighter, stronger, and more efficient.

3. What are some real-world applications of physics and nanotechnology in everyday life?

Some examples of real-world applications of physics and nanotechnology include: the use of nanomaterials in sunscreens and cosmetics, the development of more efficient solar panels using nanotechnology, and the use of physics principles in medical imaging technologies like MRI and CT scans.

4. What are the potential future advancements in physics and nanotechnology?

The potential future advancements in physics and nanotechnology are vast and constantly evolving. Some potential developments include the use of nanotechnology in medicine for targeted drug delivery and personalized treatments, the development of quantum computers for faster and more powerful computing, and the use of nanomaterials in energy storage and renewable energy technologies.

5. How can I pursue a career in the field of physics and nanotechnology?

To pursue a career in physics and nanotechnology, it is recommended to obtain a degree in a related field such as physics, engineering, or materials science. You can also pursue further education and research opportunities in graduate school. It is also important to gain hands-on experience through internships or research positions, and to stay updated on advancements and developments in the field through conferences, workshops, and publications.