How to choose Hfe in common emmiter amplifier circuit

In summary, when using a transistor model BC107bp in multisim for an amplifier circuit, the choice of minimum or average Hfe depends on the amplifier configuration. For a common emitter amplifier, a high Hfe may hurt the high frequency response, while for a common base amplifier, Hfe variation will not have a significant impact. However, for a common collector amplifier, Hfe variation can affect the input impedance. Design engineering requires consideration of worst case scenarios, while students and hobbyists can start with average values and experiment with extreme parameter values to better understand their impact. For a collector current of 1mA, the recommended minimum Hfe is 200.
null void
I am using a transister model BC107bp in multisim, and i found that its min Hfe is 40 and max Hfe is 450. If I want to construct an amplifier circuit, i should choose the min or average? I found most of the datasheet show the hfe of collector current at 2m A (min 200 - max 450), but if my collector current is 1mA, should i choose the min Hfe which is 40? Any suggestion?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
It depends on the amplifier configuration.
If it is a common emitter amplifier then high frequency response will be hurt by a high Hfe.
If it is a common base amp it will not be sensitive to Hfe variation.
If it is common collector, (emitter follower), then input impedance will be affected by Hfe variation.

Design engineering requires that you perform a worst case analysis where all parameters vary. A student or hobbyist should start modelling with average values, then test some parameter extremes as a learning exercise. Explaining the changes observed with parameter changes will be highly educational.

Likes 1 person
For the Ic = 1mA you shoudl choose hfe = 200.

1. What is Hfe in a common emitter amplifier circuit?

Hfe, also known as the forward current gain, is a measure of the amplification capability of a common emitter amplifier circuit. It tells us how much the output current is amplified compared to the input current.

2. How do I choose the appropriate Hfe for my amplifier circuit?

The Hfe value is typically provided by the transistor manufacturer and can range from 50 to 1000. To choose the appropriate Hfe, you should consider the required gain for your circuit, as well as the maximum and minimum values of Hfe provided by the manufacturer.

3. Can I use a transistor with a higher Hfe than required?

Yes, you can use a transistor with a higher Hfe than required. However, this may result in a higher output current and potential instability in the circuit. It is important to consider the maximum Hfe value provided by the manufacturer and not exceed it.

4. How does temperature affect Hfe in a common emitter amplifier circuit?

Hfe is affected by temperature and typically decreases as temperature increases. It is important to consider the temperature range in which your circuit will operate and choose a transistor with a stable Hfe within that range.

5. What are the consequences of choosing the wrong Hfe for my circuit?

If the Hfe chosen is too low, the output current of the circuit will be lower than desired, resulting in a lower gain. On the other hand, if the Hfe chosen is too high, the circuit may become unstable and result in distortion or oscillation. It is important to choose the appropriate Hfe to ensure proper amplification and stability in the circuit.