Whats considered a substantial health condition?

In summary, the male involved has a more severe condition than the female, and it does depend on the patient. The wife has a condition that is similar to bipolar disorder, but it is not as severe. The husband has ADHD and minor anxiety, which are not considered to be substantial health conditions.
UnknownPiratte
would bi-polar disorder be considered a substantial health condition? or does it truly depend on the patient?

also, would chronic anxiety also be considered a substantial health condition?

tyvm

-UnknownPiratte

Biology news on Phys.org
UnknownPiratte said:
would bi-polar disorder be considered a substantial health condition? or does it truly depend on the patient?

also, would chronic anxiety also be considered a substantial health condition?
This might be relevant with regards to legal terminology and so but I fail to see the scientifc meaning of "a substantial health condition" it appears more like a pompous statement.
It is as helpful as a physicist calling a newly discovered particle "rather heavy".

Furthermore the consideration is in the head of the one who makes it. :smile:

Last edited:
Perhaps he means "would a medical insurace policy pay off on it"?

selfAdjoint said:
Perhaps he means "would a medical insurace policy pay off on it"?
That is what I was thinking as well. :smile:

... Excuse me, but the information is needed for a friend :
http://www.ottawahospital.on.ca/hp/dept/socialwork/community-e.asp#ODSP
says that for eligibility for ODSP here in Ontario requires one to have "a substantial health condition expected to last at least a year". His wife suffers from severe chronic anxiety and he suffers from bi-polar disorder. Both are extremely anxious concerning working in public. Also, the sir involved has self-diagnosed ADHD, he's hyper sensitive, manic depressive, also suffers from minor anxiety and has an extremely difficult time walking outside of his house. The question was, are these things considered to be "substantial health conditions"? The people at the ODSP may have pompous requisites but unfortunately they're the law.

Last edited by a moderator:
To some extent it does depend on the patient. It sounds as though the male involved has the more severe condition of the parties involved. If he hasn't already done so, I would get (at least) a second opinion on the bipolar diagnosis. Though bipolar disorder is one of the more persistent and severe mental conditions, it can be treated and individuals with the disorder can live fairly normal lives. From you description I assume your friend is either not receiving treatment at all or is receiving inadequate treatment. Do you know what type of anxiety disorder his wife has?

I'm not familiar with the intricacies of the Canadian system, but assuming the diagnosis have been made I would have your friends discuss those matters with their physicians. Encourage your friends to seek/change treatment for their disorders because their quality of life is currently below where it should be with proper treatment.

the wife has continued with her doctors and her psycho-therapist for awhile now and still she'll panick sometimes quite extremely. her "episodes" i suppose are quick but it's as if traumatizing at the time. both of their disorders are due to genetics as each has many relatives with the same condition. even after many years of self-treating the situation she still has these "reclusive" "episodes" i guess ud say, after just a few days of inactivity, or even less, she'll be far less able to even leave the house. He on the other hand is having difficulty due to paperwork, his former doctors did indeed give his new psychiatrist the papers but it seems the psych is unwilling to help, these two are on welfare and have little to no money to provide for a good, well paid, psychiatrist. he's somewhat stable and yes, he has discontinued his medication upon his psych's orders, in order to change them, but no matter what he is continually a "loner" and prefers to communicate strictly one-on-one with anyone he meets. crowds, large rooms and whatever else are big problems for these people and they've even had some troubles with welfare due to the conditions. the sir worked in a factory before his psychotic episode, she's been dealing with this for years, and still no proper help is available, that's why they want to apply to this thing in the first place. you're right, its the paperwork and the individual needs that needs attending to, i'll continue to help them and have already told them this but due to funds and transportation its a little more difficult than expected. ty for ignoring my negative words in the post above, I am sorry. and ty

1. What is considered a substantial health condition?

A substantial health condition is a medical issue that significantly impacts a person's physical, mental, or emotional well-being. It may require medical treatment, result in hospitalization, or cause long-term disability or impairment.

2. What are some examples of substantial health conditions?

Examples of substantial health conditions include chronic diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, and cancer, mental health disorders like depression and anxiety, and physical disabilities like paralysis or chronic pain.

3. How is a substantial health condition diagnosed?

A substantial health condition is diagnosed through a combination of medical history, physical exams, and diagnostic testing. A doctor or healthcare professional will assess the severity and impact of the condition on a person's daily life to determine if it is considered substantial.

4. Can a substantial health condition improve or go away?

Some substantial health conditions can improve with treatment or lifestyle changes, while others may be managed but not cured. It depends on the specific condition and individual factors such as age, overall health, and access to healthcare.

5. Is a substantial health condition the same as a disability?

No, a substantial health condition is not the same as a disability. A disability is a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits a person's major life activities, while a substantial health condition may or may not result in a disability. However, some substantial health conditions may meet the criteria for a disability.