Euler's Phi function Number Theory

In summary: Yes, phi(n)=n*(1-1/d) for any natural number n. However, you are still stuck because you need to use the prime factor expansion of phi(n) to get from here to proving the identity.
Ch1ronTL34
Ok the question is as follows:

Given gcd(a,b)=d, show that Phi(ab)= (d*phi(a)phi(b))/phi(d)

I know that if gcd(a,b)=1 then phi(ab)=Phi(a)phi(b) but I am just stuck here. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
phi(n)=n(1-1/p1)...(1-1/pk), where pi are the distinct prime factors of n. Can you prove and then use this?

Status X...that was another part of the question. They gave us the fact that

phi(a)=a*PROD(1-1/p) for the distinct prime factors. Can one say:

phi(ab)=ab*PROD(1-1/p) for the distinct prime factors of a and b? I don't know if this would help me or not

The product is over the distinct prime factors of ab. But a and b may share some prime factors (which, remember, will then be in d).

I don't exactly understand what you mean by "which, remember will be in d"

d is the gcd of a and b

Try writing out the identity in the first post using the prime factor expansion of phi(n). Which prime factors does d have?

ok i wrote out the prime factorization of the equation in the first post.

The d on the numerator cancels the d in the denominator. I'm not very good thinking about primes and factors (even though I am taking Number theory haha).

Which prime factors does d have?
Does d have the same prime factors as a and b since it is the gcd of a and b?

Think about the definition of d. If the abstractness is confusing you, try plugging in some values for a and b.

I have a question about this same problem. The prime factors of d are 1 and d. So since D is the only distinct prime factor of a and b, this means phi(n)=n*(1-1/d) right? But then, How do I go from here?

1. What is Euler's Phi function in Number Theory?

Euler's Phi function, also known as the Euler totient function, is a mathematical function that counts the positive integers up to a given number n that are relatively prime to n. It is denoted as φ(n) and is used in various areas of number theory, particularly in modular arithmetic and cryptography.

2. How is Euler's Phi function calculated?

Euler's Phi function is calculated using the formula φ(n) = n * (1 - 1/p1) * (1 - 1/p2) * ... * (1 - 1/pk), where p1, p2, ..., pk are the distinct prime factors of n.

3. What is the significance of Euler's Phi function in Number Theory?

Euler's Phi function has many important applications in Number Theory. It is used to calculate the order of elements in a group, to find the number of reduced residue classes modulo n, and to solve problems in cryptography, such as finding the private key in RSA encryption.

4. Can Euler's Phi function be extended to non-integer values?

No, Euler's Phi function is only defined for positive integers. However, there are extensions of the phi function, such as the Dedekind psi function, which are defined for non-integer values and have similar properties to the phi function.

5. What is the relationship between Euler's Phi function and the prime factorization of a number?

The value of Euler's Phi function for a number n is closely related to its prime factorization. Specifically, φ(n) is equal to the product of (pk - pk-1) for each prime factor pk of n. This relationship is often used in number theory proofs and applications.