Spherical Harmonics Normalization

In summary: The other thing that's bugging me is that the normalization is mentioned, but it's not really clear what it does. I'm guessing it scales the coefficients so they add up to 1? I'm not familiar enough with the math to know for sure. In summary, some spherical harmonics equations are used to parametrize a magnetic field. The equations are written in terms of mesh points, R, theta, and phi. The coefficient Cn,m for x and z axes is special, as is the coefficient Sn,m for the y axis. The summation for the Cn,m starts at n=0,m=0, but it's not clear how normalization is done.
Dzyubak
Hello, everyone!

I'm working on parametrizing a magnetic field using spherical harmonics. The equations
Yc n,m (theta, phi) = (R/R0)^n * Pn,m(cos(theta)) * cos(m*phi)
Ys n,m (theta, phi) = (R/R0)^n * Pn,m(cos(theta)) * sin(m*phi)
where Pn,m is a Legendre polynomial where n is degree and m is order of polynomial. 0<=m<=n

Bx = R0x / C1,1 * Sum{n=0:9}(Sum{m = 0:n}(Cn,m * Yc n,m))
By = R0y / S1,1 * Sum{n=0:9}(Sum{m = 0:n}(Sn,m * Ys n,m))
Bz = R0z / C1,0 * Sum{n=0:9}(Sum{m = 0:n}(Cn,m * Yc n,m))

theta, phi, and R are defined as meshes (in Matlab). Every point in 3D space has a unique R, theta, phi combination. Theta is the azimuth angle, phi is the polar angle.

Cn,m for x and z axes, as well as Sn,m for the y axis, are three separate sets of coefficients. The problem is that they are all written as rows of numbers, not pyramids (n=0,m=0; n=1,m=0 and n=1 m=1 etc.), so I am unsure which m and n value the first coefficient has. The manual indicates that the summation starts at n=0,m=0, however, it seems strange that the 3rd term in the series (C1,1) would be normalized. I am not very familiar with spherical harmonics. Could someone suggest a reasonable explanation for how normalization is done and where the summation should start?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the quick reply.
I've looked through the articles on wikipedia. One of them hints that C1,1 in the x, S1,1 in the z, and C1,0 in the z are special cases. Unfortunately, it doesn't explain why (nor do the books I looked at so far).

1. What are spherical harmonics and why are they important in science?

Spherical harmonics are mathematical functions that describe the relationship between the orientation of a sphere and the spherical coordinates on its surface. They are important in science because they can be used to represent complex physical phenomena, such as sound waves, electromagnetic fields, and atomic orbitals.

2. What is normalization in the context of spherical harmonics?

Normalization refers to the process of scaling a set of spherical harmonics functions so that they have a unit magnitude. This is important because it allows for easier comparison and combination of different harmonics.

3. How is normalization of spherical harmonics performed?

The normalization of spherical harmonics can be achieved through various methods, such as the Schmidt semi-normalization, the Schmidt orthogonalization, or the Gram-Schmidt process. These methods involve mathematical manipulations of the harmonics functions to ensure that they have a unit magnitude.

4. What is the effect of normalization on spherical harmonics?

Normalization has two main effects on spherical harmonics: it ensures that the functions have a unit magnitude, and it removes any arbitrary phase from the functions. This allows for easier comparison and combination of different harmonics, and also simplifies calculations involving the functions.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using normalized spherical harmonics?

While normalization has many benefits, it also has some limitations. For example, it can only be applied to functions that are square-integrable, and it may introduce numerical errors in certain calculations. Additionally, the normalization process can be computationally intensive for higher-order harmonics. However, these limitations can often be overcome with careful selection of normalization methods and techniques.