Rigid Body Equilibrium Question

In summary, the conversation is about finding the tension in each cable and the force exerted on the strut by the pivot in an equilibrium problem. The person knows how to find the tension, but is unsure about how to determine the net force on the pivot and how to solve for it. They mention needing a free body diagram and the force exerted by the wall. The other person explains that the strut is always in either pure tension or compression and the force at the upper right must be balanced by a force at the pivot. They also ask if the person has solved the free body diagram at the upper right.
aldee11
Hi, I have a question regarding Equilibrium problems.
Here is the example of my hw.
Find the tension T in each cable and the magnitude and direction of the force exerted on the strut by the pivot.
I know how to find T. The only problem is i couldn't imagine the force exerted on the strut by the pivot. I don't even know what that means. Can someone explain it to me and help me solve this problem.

I also noticed that i need to find the force on the pivot for some other problems. Is there any easy ways to find the force? at least, how to picture it. Once i know where it is, i think i could solve it.
untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
nobody??

Draw a free body diagram for each joint.

TVP45 said:
Draw a free body diagram for each joint.

I know how to do it, the only problem is i don't know how to determine the net force on the pivot.
thats it. that's my only problem. I know how to solve T, but I don't know how to solve the net force exerted on the strut by the pivot

OK. The diagram does not show a pivot where the strut meets the wall, but I assume that is supposed to be a pivot? In that case the strut is always in either pure tension or compression since you cannot transmit torque at either end. So, the force exerted on/by the strut at the upper right (where the two cables are) must be balanced by a force at the pivot. Do you have that force at the upper right?

I need this force exerted by the wall.

untitled-1.jpg

Yes, I understand. Do you have the FBD solved at the upper right?

1. What is a rigid body equilibrium question?

A rigid body equilibrium question is a type of physics problem that involves analyzing the forces acting on a rigid body in order to determine its state of equilibrium, where the net force and net torque acting on the body are both equal to zero.

2. How do you identify a rigid body equilibrium question?

You can identify a rigid body equilibrium question by looking for certain key phrases, such as "static equilibrium," "balanced forces," or "net torque equals zero." These terms indicate that the problem involves analyzing the forces and torques acting on a rigid body.

3. What are the steps to solving a rigid body equilibrium question?

The first step is to draw a free body diagram of the rigid body, showing all the forces and torques acting on it. Then, apply Newton's laws of motion to write out the equations for the net force and net torque. Finally, solve the equations to find the unknown quantities, such as the magnitude and direction of forces or the location of the center of mass.

4. Can a rigid body be in equilibrium if it is moving?

No, a rigid body can only be in equilibrium if it is at rest or moving with a constant velocity. If the body is accelerating, then there must be a net force acting on it, and it cannot be in equilibrium.

5. How is a rigid body equilibrium question different from a general physics problem?

A rigid body equilibrium question is different from a general physics problem in that it focuses specifically on the forces and torques acting on a rigid body, rather than a more complex system. Also, in a rigid body equilibrium question, the goal is to determine the state of equilibrium, rather than predicting the motion of the body.