Proving Remainders: First Proof in Intro to Proof Class

• Thread starter halo31
  • Start date
In summary, the statement "If a ≡ b (mod n), then a and b have the same remainders upon division by n." was proven by assuming n≡a (mod b) and using the fact that n|(a-b) and a=nk+r1 where 0≤r1<n to show that both a and b have the same remainder.
halo31

Homework Statement

I have to prove "If a is congruent a (mod b) then a and b have the same remainders when divided by n.
I'm in a intro to proof class and we haven't gone into much detail about this topic. In fact this is the first proof dealing with remainders I have to prove. Not sure if i did it right though?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my proof:
Assume n|(a-b) implies ns=a-b where sεZ. Let a=nk+r1 where 0≤n<n. This means that ns=nk+r1-b then nk-ns+r1=b where n(k-s)+r1. Since k-sεZ then a and b both share the same remainder.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
halo31 said:

Homework Statement

I have to prove "If a is congruent a (mod b) then a and b have the same remainders.
What is the exact problem statement? Your statement seems to be missing some important parts. What you have doesn't make any sense.

halo31 said:
I'm in a intro to proof class and we haven't gone into much detail about this topic. In fact this is the first proof dealing with remainders I have to prove. Not sure if i did it right though?

Homework Equations

Here is my proof:
Assume n|(a-b) implies ns=a-b where sεZ. Let a=nk+r1 where 0≤n<n.
How can n < n?
halo31 said:
This means that ns=nk+r1-b then nk-ns+r1=b where n(k-s)+r1. Since k-sεZ then a and b both share the same remainder.

halo31 said:

Homework Statement

I have to prove "If a is congruent a (mod b) then a and b have the same remainders.

Homework Equations

Here is my proof:
Assume n|(a-b) implies ns=a-b where sεZ. Let a=nk+r1 where 0≤n<n. This means that ns=nk+r1-b then nk-ns+r1=b where n(k-s)+r1. Since k-sεZ then a and b both share the same remainder.
First of all, the statement of your problem,
"If a is congruent a (mod b) then a and b have the same remainders"​
Doesn't make sense.

After looking at your proof, I suspect that the problem reads something like:
If a ≡ b (mod n), then a and b have the same remainders upon division by n .​

Your proof the following error, probably a typo.

Let a=nk+r1 where 0≤n<n. should be: Let a=nk+r1 where 0 ≤ r1 < n.

Are you starting your proof by Assuming n|(a-b) ? You should instead say that n|(a-b) is what it means for a ≡ b (mod n) .

My other question to you is, what allows you to state, "Let a=nk+r1 ..." ? You should probably mention what allows you to state that.

Assume n≡a (mod b) which means n|(a-b). n|(a-b) implies ns=a-b where sεZ. Since a is divided by n then a=nk+r1 where 0≤r1<n where r1 represents the remainder. This means that ns=nk+r1-b = nk-ns+r1=b where n(k-s)+r1=b. Since k-sεZ then a and b both share the same remainder.

1. What is a remainder in mathematics?

A remainder in mathematics is the amount that is left over after dividing one number by another. For example, if we divide 10 by 3, the remainder would be 1.

2. How do you prove a remainder in an intro to proof class?

To prove a remainder in an intro to proof class, you can use the division algorithm. This involves showing that the remainder is smaller than the divisor and greater than or equal to 0.

3. What is the significance of proving remainders in mathematics?

Proving remainders is important in mathematics because it allows us to understand the relationship between numbers and their divisibility. It also helps us to solve problems involving division and identify patterns in numbers.

4. Can you give an example of a proof involving remainders?

One example of a proof involving remainders is proving that the square of any positive integer is either of the form 3k or 3k+1, where k is an integer. This can be proven by dividing the square of the integer by 3 and showing that the remainder is either 0, 1, or 2.

5. Is there more than one way to prove a remainder?

Yes, there are multiple ways to prove a remainder. In addition to using the division algorithm, you can also use modular arithmetic or mathematical induction to prove remainders. The method used may depend on the specific problem at hand.