Modular Congruence and GCD Proof

• Thread starter Colleen G
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gcd Proof
In summary, to prove that d=gcd(b,n), we need to show that d|b, d|n, and that if there is a smaller c that also divides b and n, then it also divides a and n. We can show that if d|n and d|a, then d|b. And if there is a smaller c that divides b and n, then it also divides a and n. By putting these two together, we can prove that d=gcd(b,n).
Colleen G

Homework Statement

If a≡b(mod n) and d=gcd(a.n), prove that d=gcd(b,n).[/B]

Homework Equations

If a≡b(mod n) → n|(a-b) → a-b =nk, for some k∈ℤ → a=nk+b
If d=gcd(a.n) → d=ax+ny
gcd(b,n)=d ↔ d|b and d|n, and if c|b and c|n, then c ≤ a.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since a=nk+b and d=ax+ny, then
d=(nk+b)x+ny
d=nkx+bx+ny
d=bx+n(kx+y)
d=bx+nw, where w=kx+y and w∈ℤ.

I have gotten this far. Originally I thought this was enough to prove d was the gcd of b and n. But now I see that I need to show d|b, d|n, and that if there is a c such that c|b and c|n, then c ≤ d.

Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Colleen G said:

Homework Statement

If a≡b(mod n) and d=gcd(a.n), prove that d=gcd(b,n).[/B]

Homework Equations

If a≡b(mod n) → n|(a-b) → a-b =nk, for some k∈ℤ → a=nk+b
If d=gcd(a.n) → d=ax+ny
gcd(b,n)=d ↔ d|b and d|n, and if c|b and c|n, then c ≤ a.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since a=nk+b and d=ax+ny, then
d=(nk+b)x+ny
d=nkx+bx+ny
d=bx+n(kx+y)
d=bx+nw, where w=kx+y and w∈ℤ.

I have gotten this far. Originally I thought this was enough to prove d was the gcd of b and n. But now I see that I need to show d|b, d|n, and that if there is a c such that c|b and c|n, then c ≤ d.

Help!

It's pretty clear that if d|n and d|a then d|b, right? Show that. Now if there is a smaller c that also divides b and n, then it also must divide a and n, right? Show that. Put the two together.

Last edited:

1. What is modular congruence?

Modular congruence is a mathematical concept that compares two numbers based on their remainder when divided by a third number, known as the modulus. If two numbers have the same remainder when divided by the modulus, they are said to be congruent modulo that modulus.

2. How is modular congruence used in proofs?

Modular congruence is often used in proofs involving number theory and algebra. It allows us to reduce large numbers to smaller ones, making calculations and proofs easier. It is also used to show that two numbers are equivalent in some way, such as being prime or having the same number of factors.

3. What is the role of the Greatest Common Divisor (GCD) in modular congruence proofs?

The GCD plays a crucial role in modular congruence proofs. It is used to determine if two numbers are relatively prime, meaning they have no common factors other than 1. If the GCD of two numbers is 1, then they are relatively prime and have a modular inverse, which is necessary for many modular congruence proofs.

4. Can modular congruence be used in other fields besides mathematics?

Yes, modular congruence has applications in various fields, such as computer science, cryptography, and engineering. It is used in cryptography to ensure secure communication and in engineering to design efficient and reliable systems.

5. Are there any real-world examples of modular congruence and GCD proof?

Yes, one example is the use of modular congruence in determining the day of the week for a given date. This is done by using the GCD to find the number of days that have passed since a specific reference date. Another example is in the design of computer algorithms, where modular congruence is used to optimize operations and reduce computational complexity.