Find Area of Region w/ 4 Rectangles

• Thread starter physics=world
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary: The sum of the areas of the rectangles with those endpoints will be the "left endpoint" estimate and the sum of the areas of the rectangles with those "right endpoints" will be the "right endpoint" estimate.
physics=world
1. Use left and right endpoints and the given
number of rectangles to find two approximations of the area of
the region between the graph of the function and the x-axis over
the given interval.

f(x) = 2x + 5; [0, 2]; 4 rectangles

Homework Equations

i = n(n+1)/2

The Attempt at a Solution

i can find the upper/right endpoint but the left endpoint is difficult.n
Ʃ [2(2(i -1)/(n)) + 5](2/n)
i = 1

n
(2/n)Ʃ [2(2(i -1)/(n)) + 5]
i = 1

n
(2/n)Ʃ [(4(i -1)/(n)) + 5]
i = 1

n n
(2/n){(4/n)Ʃ (i -1) + Ʃ 5}
i = 1 i = 1

and then i sub the equation in for i and solve but i do not get the right answer.

btw the correct answer is 13.

Physics news on Phys.org
physics=world said:
i = n(n+1)/2
What are i and n in the context of this question?
n
Ʃ [2(2(i -1)/(n)) + 5](2/n)
i = 1

n
(2/n)Ʃ [2(2(i -1)/(n)) + 5]
i = 1

n
(2/n)Ʃ [(4(i -1)/(n)) + 5]
i = 1

n n
(2/n){(4/n)Ʃ (i -1) + Ʃ 5}
i = 1 i = 1

and then i sub the equation in for i and solve but i do not get the right answer.
It was ok up to that point. Exactly what substitution did you make?

n is going to equal 4.

and i sub in n(n+1)/2 for i in the equation

physics=world said:
n is going to equal 4.

and i sub in n(n+1)/2 for i in the equation
No, it's [itex]\sum_{i=1}^n i=n(n+1)/2[/itex].

Is there a reason why you are using that general formula for this very specific problem? You are given the interval from 0 to 2 and and asked to divide it into 4 rectangles. The problem does NOT say "rectangles with the same base" but that is the simplest thing to do- each base will have length 2/4= 1/2. The endpoints of the bases of those rectangles will be 0, 1/2, 1, 3/2, and 2. For the "left endpoints", evaluate 2x+ 5 at x= 0, 1/2, 1, and 3/2. For the "right endpoints", evaluate 2x+ 5 at x= 1/2, 1, 3/2, and 2.

1. What is the formula for finding the area of a region with 4 rectangles?

The formula for finding the area of a region with 4 rectangles is to add the individual areas of each rectangle. This can be written as A = A1 + A2 + A3 + A4, where A represents the total area and A1, A2, A3, and A4 represent the individual areas of the rectangles.

2. How do you determine the dimensions of each rectangle?

The dimensions of each rectangle can be determined by measuring the length and width of each rectangle. Alternatively, if the dimensions are not provided, you can divide the total area by the number of rectangles to get the average area and then find the dimensions that would result in that average area.

3. Can the rectangles have different dimensions?

Yes, the rectangles in a region can have different dimensions. As long as the individual areas of each rectangle are added together to find the total area, the dimensions can vary among the rectangles.

4. What if one rectangle overlaps with another?

If one rectangle overlaps with another, you will need to subtract the area of the overlapping region from the total area. This can be done by carefully measuring the overlapping portion and subtracting it from the total area calculation.

5. Is there a limit to the number of rectangles that can be used to find the area of a region?

No, there is no limit to the number of rectangles that can be used to find the area of a region. However, as the number of rectangles increases, the calculation may become more complex and prone to errors. It is recommended to use a reasonable number of rectangles that accurately represent the region's shape and size.