How to construct a table of all the real-valued Dirichlet characters?

• Thread starter Math100
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Table
In summary: I see, thank you. I will try it and come back soon.In summary, the question is asking for a method to find the values of characters ##\chi_{2}(n)...## starting from the known values of ##\chi_{1}(n)##. One approach is to consider normal subgroups of the group and use the orthogonality relations of characters to find the remaining values.
Math100
Homework Statement
Let ## G ## be the group of reduced residue classes modulo ## 21 ##. Construct a table showing the values of all the real-valued, and one of the complex-valued, Dirichlet characters modulo ## 21 ##. (In your table, use ## \omega ## for ## e^{\pi i/3} ##.)
Relevant Equations
Definition: Dirichlet characters. Let ## G ## be the group of reduced residue classes modulo ## k ##. Corresponding to each character ## f ## of ## G ##, we define an arithmetical function ## \chi=\chi_{f} ## as follows:
## \chi(n)=f(\hat{n}) ## if ## (n, k)=1 ##,
## \chi(n)=0 ## if ## (n, k)>1 ##.
The function ## \chi ## is called a Dirichlet character modulo ## k ##. The principal character ## \chi_{1} ## has the properties ## \chi_{1}(n)=1 ## if ## (n, k)=1 ##, and ## \chi_{1}(n)=0 ## if ## (n, k)>1 ##.
Corresponding to each character ## f_{i} ## of ## G ##, we define an arithmetical function ## \chi_{i} ## as follows:
## \chi_{i}(n)=f_{i}(\hat{n}) ## if ## (n, k)=1 ##,
## \chi_{i}(n)=0 ## if ## (n, k)>1 ##.
\begin{array}{|c|c|c|c|c|c|c|c|c|c|c|c|c|}
\hline n & 1 & 2 & 4 & 5 & 8 & 10 & 11 & 13 & 16 & 17 & 19 & 20 \\
\hline \chi_{1}(n) & 1 & 1 & 1 & 1 & 1 & 1 & 1 & 1 & 1 & 1 & 1 & 1 \\
\hline \chi_{2}(n) & 1 & -1 & 1 & 1 & -1 & -1 & -1 & -1 & 1 & 1 & -1 & 1 \\
\hline \chi_{3}(n) & 1 & 1 & 1 & -1 & 1 & -1 & 1 & -1 & 1 & -1 & -1 & -1 \\
\hline \chi_{4}(n) & 1 & -1 & 1 & -1 & -1 & 1 & -1 & 1 & 1 & -1 & 1 & -1 \\
\hline \chi_{5}(n) & 1 & \omega & \omega^{2} & -\omega & -1 & -\omega^{2} & -\omega^{2} & -1 & -\omega & \omega^{2} & \omega & 1 \\
\hline \chi_{6}(n) & 1 & \omega^{2} & -\omega & \omega^{2} & 1 & -\omega & -\omega & 1 & \omega^{2} & -\omega & \omega^{2} & 1 \\
\hline \chi_{7}(n) & 1 & -\omega & \omega^{2} & -\omega & 1 & \omega^{2} & \omega^{2} & 1 & -\omega & \omega^{2} & -\omega & 1 \\
\hline \chi_{8}(n) & 1 & -\omega^{2} & -\omega & \omega^{2} & -1 & \omega & \omega & -1 & \omega^{2} & -\omega & -\omega^{2} & 1 \\
\hline \chi_{9}(n) & 1 & \omega & \omega^{2} & \omega & -1 & \omega^{2} & -\omega^{2} & 1 & -\omega & -\omega^{2} & -\omega & -1 \\
\hline \chi_{10}(n) & 1 & \omega^{2} & -\omega & -\omega^{2} & 1 & \omega & -\omega & -1 & \omega^{2} & \omega & -\omega^{2} & -1 \\
\hline \chi_{11}(n) & 1 & -\omega & \omega^{2} & \omega & 1 & -\omega^{2} & \omega^{2} & -1 & -\omega & -\omega^{2} & \omega & -1 \\
\hline \chi_{12}(n) & 1 & -\omega^{2} & -\omega & -\omega^{2} & -1 & -\omega & \omega & 1 & \omega^{2} & \omega & \omega^{2} & -1 \\
\hline
\end{array}

The table above is the answer/solution for this problem.
I know that ## \varphi(21)=\varphi(3)\varphi(7)=2\cdot 6=12 ##, which means there are ## 12 ## elements such that ## G=\{1, 2, 4, 5, 8, 10, 11, 13, 16, 17, 19, 20\} ##. But I do not know how to get ## \chi_{2}(n)... ## except ## \chi_{1}(n) ##. May anyone please tell me how to get these values?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your notation has some problems that prevent us making sense of your question:
Math100 said:
Corresponding to each character ## f_{i} ## of ## G ##, ....
What do you mean by this? The elements of ##G## are not characters, they are effectively modulus classes, ie elements of ##\mathbb Z_k##. It is the ##\chi## that are characters.
Math100 said:
## \chi_{i}(n)=f_{i}(\hat{n}) ## if ## (n, k)=1 ##,
What do you mean by this? You have not defined ##\hat n##, and ##f## is not a function, as you have presented it, but a modulus number.

It depends on what you already know about characters/representations of finite groups (in your case abelian). One thing you can do is find normal subgroups (in the abelian case that is all subgroups). Say ##H## is a normal subgroup of ##G##, then consider the group ##G/H## it is smaller and it is easier to find characters of it. If ##f## is a character of ##G/H##, when you compose it with the projection ##G\rightarrow G/H## you get a character of ##G##, which is trivial on ##H##.

For example look at the group generated by ##5##, then ##H=\langle 5\rangle = \{1,4,5,16,17,20\}##. The the factor ##G/H## has two elements. It has two characters. One is the trivial (all values are 1). This will pull back to ##\chi_1##. The other is the character that gives value -1 to the non-identity element of the group. When you pull back that one you get ##\chi_2##.

Playing around like that you can get many characters, may be all. There are also the orthogonality relations the characters satisfy. So, if you already know some you can use easily these relations to find the others.

andrewkirk said:

What do you mean by this? The elements of ##G## are not characters, they are effectively modulus classes, ie elements of ##\mathbb Z_k##. It is the ##\chi## that are characters.

What do you mean by this? You have not defined ##\hat n##, and ##f## is not a function, as you have presented it, but a modulus number.
This is my question, too. I do not know what they mean, I just posted them under the relevant equation(s) just because my book has these definitions. Since these definitions are preventing people to make sense of my question, then please ignore them. How should I find those values then, starting from ## \chi_{2}(n)... ##?

andrewkirk said:

The notations are fine. It says that ##f_i## is a character of ##G##. For some reason you think it is a group element, but it doesnt say that.

Math100 said:
How should I find those values then, starting from ## \chi_{2}(n)... ##?
I told you! Did you not read my post?

martinbn said:
I told you! Did you not read my post?
I already did. But I still don't understand. How should I find normal subgroups?

My be it would help if you told us what you already know. For example do you know what the structure of finite abelian groups is? Can you figure out how the group of your example decomposes as a product of cyclic groups? Do you know what the characters of cyclic groups are? For instance your group ##G## is isomorphic to ##C_6\times C_2##, two cyclic groups of order 6 and 2. Does this help?

martinbn said:
My be it would help if you told us what you already know. For example do you know what the structure of finite abelian groups is? Can you figure out how the group of your example decomposes as a product of cyclic groups? Do you know what the characters of cyclic groups are? For instance your group ##G## is isomorphic to ##C_6\times C_2##, two cyclic groups of order 6 and 2. Does this help?
No. I do not know the structure of finite abelian groups. I do not know the characters of cyclic groups are. You said that my group of ## G ## is isomorphic to ## C_{6}\times C_{2} ##, which are the two cyclic groups of order ## 6 ## and ## 2 ##. But how did you get these?

Math100 said:
No. I do not know the structure of finite abelian groups. I do not know the characters of cyclic groups are. You said that my group of ## G ## is isomorphic to ## C_{6}\times C_{2} ##, which are the two cyclic groups of order ## 6 ## and ## 2 ##. But how did you get these?
It would be easier if you told us what you do know. Why are looking at this question?

martinbn said:
It would be easier if you told us what you do know. Why are looking at this question?
Since ## \varphi(21)=\varphi(3)\varphi(7)=2\cdot 6=12 ##, there are ## 12 ## elements such that ## G=\{1, 2, 4, 5, 8, 10, 11, 13, 16, 17, 19, 20\} ##. So ## G ## can be generated by order ## 2 ## or ## 6 ##. And we have ## \chi(k)^{2}=\chi(k)\cdot \chi(k)=\chi(k\cdot k)=\chi(k^{2})=\chi(1)=1 ## and ## \chi(k)^{6}=\chi(k^{6})=\chi(1)=1 ##. But how should I find out which elements are of order ## 2 ## and which ones are of order ## 6 ## from group ## G ##?

Math100 said:
Since ## \varphi(21)=\varphi(3)\varphi(7)=2\cdot 6=12 ##, there are ## 12 ## elements such that ## G=\{1, 2, 4, 5, 8, 10, 11, 13, 16, 17, 19, 20\} ##. So ## G ## can be generated by order ## 2 ## or ## 6 ##. And we have ## \chi(k)^{2}=\chi(k)\cdot \chi(k)=\chi(k\cdot k)=\chi(k^{2})=\chi(1)=1 ## and ## \chi(k)^{6}=\chi(k^{6})=\chi(1)=1 ##. But how should I find out which elements are of order ## 2 ## and which ones are of order ## 6 ## from group ## G ##?
Any group has only one element of order one, which is its identity. It's easy to see which element of G that is.
Only one element of ##C_6\times C_2## can have order two: ##(1_6,(-1)_2)## where ##1_6## is the identity of ##C_6## and ##(-1)_2## is the sole non-identity element of ##C_2##. So you only need to find one element out of the eleven non-identity elements of G, that has order two. The other ten elements all have order six.

Which of the elements of G gives 1 modulo 21 when you square it?

andrewkirk said:
Any group has only one element of order one, which is its identity. It's easy to see which element of G that is.
Only one element of ##C_6\times C_2## can have order two: ##(1_6,(-1)_2)## where ##1_6## is the identity of ##C_6## and ##(-1)_2## is the sole non-identity element of ##C_2##. So you only need to find one element out of the eleven non-identity elements of G, that has order two. The other ten elements all have order six.

Which of the elements of G gives 1 modulo 21 when you square it?
## 1, 8, 13, 20 ##
## 1^{2}\equiv 1\pmod {21}, 8^{2}\equiv 1\pmod {21}, 13^{2}\equiv 1\pmod {21}, 20^{2}\equiv 1\pmod {21} ##

Math100 said:
## 1, 8, 13, 20 ##
## 1^{2}\equiv 1\pmod {21}, 8^{2}\equiv 1\pmod {21}, 13^{2}\equiv 1\pmod {21}, 20^{2}\equiv 1\pmod {21} ##
Correct.
BTW, that identifies an error in my post. I should have said that three elements in ##C_6\times C_2## have order two:$$(1_6,g_2),\ \ (b, 1_2),\ \ (b, g_2)$$ where ##g_2## is the sole non-identity element of ##C_2##. and ##b## is the sole non-identity element of ##C_6## whose square is ##1_6##. You can map those three order-two elements of ##C_6\times C_2## to 8, 13 and 20 in G in any way you like.
My apologies.

Likes Math100
andrewkirk said:
Correct.
BTW, that identifies an error in my post. I should have said that three elements in ##C_6\times C_2## have order two:$$(1_6,g_2),\ \ (b, 1_2),\ \ (b, g_2)$$ where ##g_2## is the sole non-identity element of ##C_2##. and ##b## is the sole non-identity element of ##C_6## whose square is ##1_6##. You can map those three order-two elements of ##C_6\times C_2## to 8, 13 and 20 in G in any way you like.
My apologies.
So now we have that ## \chi(k)^{2}=\chi(k)\cdot \chi(k)=\chi(k\cdot k)=\chi(k^{2})=\chi(1)=1 ## for all ## k\{8, 13, 20\} ## and ## \chi(k)^{6}=\chi(k^{6})=\chi(1)=1 ## for all ## k\{2, 4, 5, 10, 11, 16, 17, 19\} ##. And this implies that ## \chi(n)=8, 13, 20 ## can either be ## -1, 1 ##. But how should I find out the order of ## -1, 1 ## for each ## \chi_{1}(n),...\chi_{12}(n) ## in ## n=8, 13, 20 ##? For example, why does ## \chi_{1}(8)=1, \chi_{2}(8)=-1, \chi_{3}(8)=1, \chi_{4}(8)=-1, \chi_{5}(8)=-1, \chi_{6}(8)=1, \chi_{7}(8)=1, \chi_{8}(8)=-1, \chi_{9}(8)=-1, \chi_{10}(8)=1, \chi_{11}(8)=1, \chi_{12}(8)=-1 ##? And how should I find other values in ## \chi(2), \chi(4), \chi(5), \chi(10), \chi(11), \chi(16), \chi(17), \chi(19) ##? The question asks to use ## \omega ## for ## e^{\pi i/3} ## but how should I do this?

1. What is a real-valued Dirichlet character?

A real-valued Dirichlet character is a mathematical function that assigns a real number to each positive integer, based on its relationship with a given modulus. It is a special type of Dirichlet character that takes on only real values instead of complex values.

2. How do you construct a table of real-valued Dirichlet characters?

To construct a table of real-valued Dirichlet characters, you first need to choose a modulus, which is a positive integer. Then, for each positive integer less than or equal to the modulus, you need to calculate the value of the character using a specific formula. This process is repeated for each modulus, resulting in a table of real numbers.

3. What is the significance of constructing a table of real-valued Dirichlet characters?

Constructing a table of real-valued Dirichlet characters is important in number theory and algebraic number theory. It allows for a better understanding of the properties and behavior of these characters, which have many applications in various areas of mathematics.

4. Can a table of real-valued Dirichlet characters be used for practical calculations?

Yes, a table of real-valued Dirichlet characters can be used for practical calculations, especially in the field of cryptography. These characters have applications in the construction of cryptographic algorithms, such as the RSA algorithm.

5. Are there any existing tables of real-valued Dirichlet characters?

Yes, there are existing tables of real-valued Dirichlet characters that have been constructed by mathematicians and researchers. These tables can be found in various published works and online resources, and are continuously updated as new research is conducted in this area.