Why does \mathcal{P}(X \cup Y) not always equal \mathcal{P}X \cup \mathcal{P}Y?

In summary, the power set of a union of sets is not a subset of the union of the two respective power sets.
jojo12345
It seems intuitive that the power set of a union of sets P(XunionY) is not a subset of the union of the two respective power sets P(X)unionP(Y). For finite sets the former will have more elements than the latter.

However, I can't figure out what is wrong with the following line of reasoning:

For a set S
( S in P(XunionY) ) implies ( S is a subset of XunionY ) implies (1)
for some x
( x in S implies x in XunionY ) implies (2)
( x not in S OR x in X OR x in Y ) implies (3)
( ( x in S implies x in X ) OR (x in S implies x in Y) ) implies (4)
( ( S is a subset of X ) or ( S is a subset of Y ) ) (5)

I could continue, but I'm nearly certain I have made a mistake somewhere already. I can't figure out where. I suspect that (3) is incorrect, but I don't see why I can't make the substitution I made namely:

(A implies B) iff (notA OR B)

Also, I know that (5) is incorrect. Perhaps (5) doesn't follow from (4).

Physics news on Phys.org
Indeed (5) does not follow from (4), since for that, we need one or the other to be true for ALL x not for some x (for any particular x, one or the other is true, but for different x's it might not be the same one that is true).

You must use the fact that X and Y are both nonempty somewhere, since if one of them is empty then the power set of the union and the union of power sets are equal.

To do that, do something with one element from each of the sets.

If the set C, a subset of AuB has some elements which are in A and some elements which are in B then C is in the power set of the union but not in the union of the power sets.

The union of the power sets contains sets which are either subsets of A or are subsets of B but not necessarily subsets of the union.

Thank you very much. I should have included the universal quantifier from the beginning. My negligence of this fact, as well as not making clear that X and Y were nowhere empty, were my fallacies. The universal quantifier won't "distribute" over the OR. I appreciate everyone's response.

As a concrete example, if [tex]x \in X[/tex] and [tex]y \in Y[/tex], then [tex]\{x, y\} \in \mathcal{P}(X \cup Y)[/tex] but [tex]\{x, y\} \notin \mathcal{P}X \cup \mathcal{P}Y[/tex].

adriank said:
As a concrete example, if [tex]x \in X[/tex] and [tex]y \in Y[/tex], then [tex]\{x, y\} \in \mathcal{P}(X \cup Y)[/tex] but [tex]\{x, y\} \notin \mathcal{P}X \cup \mathcal{P}Y[/tex].
If [itex]x \in X[/itex] but [itex]x \notin Y[/itex] and [itex]y\in Y[/itex] but [itex]y\notin X[/itex].

More simply, for a counter-example to "the power set of X union Y is a subset of the Power set of X union the power set of Y", take X= {x}, Y= {y}. Then [itex]X\cup Y= {x, y}[/itex] so its power set is [itex]\phi, \left{x}\right}, \left{y\right}, \left{x,y\right}[/itex] while the power set of X is [itex]\phi, \left{x\right}[/itex] and the power set of Y is [itex]\phi, \left{y\right}[/itex] so "the union of the power set of X and the power set of y" is [itex]\phi, \left{x\right}, \left{y\right}[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, consider two non-empty disjoint sets E and F with N and M elements respectively. The union of their power sets will have 2^N + 2^M elements while the power set of the union will have 2^(M+N)>2^N+2^M for N,M large enough. Will this also work as a counter example?

Halls, good point; each of X and Y must not be a subset of the other.

jojo, that does work as well.I guess what's really happening is that [tex]\mathcal{P}(X \cup Y) = \mathcal{P}X \cup \mathcal{P}Y[/tex] if and only if [tex]X \subseteq Y[/tex] or [tex]Y \subseteq X[/tex]. (This includes the case where one of the sets is empty.) This should be easy to prove.

Last edited:

What is the power set of a union?

The power set of a union is a mathematical concept that refers to the set of all possible subsets that can be formed by combining elements from two or more sets. It is denoted by P(A ∪ B) where A and B are sets.

How is the power set of a union calculated?

The power set of a union is calculated by taking the union of two sets and then finding all possible combinations of elements from both sets. This includes the empty set and the sets containing all elements from each individual set.

What is the relationship between the power set of a union and the power set of individual sets?

The power set of a union is always larger than the power set of individual sets. This is because the power set of a union includes all possible combinations of elements from two or more sets, while the power set of individual sets only includes combinations from one set.

Why is the power set of a union important in mathematics?

The power set of a union is important because it allows us to understand the relationship between different sets and their subsets. It also helps us to calculate the number of possible combinations and outcomes in various mathematical problems.

What are some real-world applications of the power set of a union?

The power set of a union has many real-world applications, including in probability and statistics, computer science, and decision making. It can be used to calculate the likelihood of different outcomes, analyze data sets, and solve complex problems in various fields.