A question about long-stroke or undersquare engines

• Thread starter karabiner98k
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engines
In summary: The Acura/ Honda Type R that I mentioned, for example, is derived from the Integra GSR engine, which while still having the same dimensions, redlined at a lower 8000rpm and made about 25hp less. The engineers wanted a factory tuned "Type R" version of this car, and so they set themselves at squeezing more out of this engine. Despite its extreme characteristics, the engine performs extrmely well and reliably, and it was simply easier (and less expensive) to make more power this way than to completely redesign the entire engine/ car from...
I see your point.

That's what I meant by «If the engine specs are the same»: I assumed the mean piston speed was constant, you assumed volumetric flow was constant.

On your point of view, you get a slight increase in torque and power because of the smaller friction losses;

On my point of view, I get exactly the same torque but a huge increase in power because of the increase in volumetric flow.

I enjoy looking at things through different eyes!

<h2>1. What is the difference between a long-stroke and undersquare engine?</h2><p>A long-stroke engine has a longer piston stroke compared to its bore diameter, while an undersquare engine has a smaller stroke compared to its bore diameter.</p><h2>2. What are the advantages of a long-stroke engine?</h2><p>A long-stroke engine typically has more torque and better fuel efficiency compared to a short-stroke engine. It also tends to have a smoother and quieter operation.</p><h2>3. What are the disadvantages of an undersquare engine?</h2><p>An undersquare engine may have less torque and power compared to a long-stroke engine. It may also have a higher risk of engine knocking and overheating.</p><h2>4. How does the stroke length affect engine performance?</h2><p>The stroke length affects the engine's power, torque, and fuel efficiency. A longer stroke can produce more torque, while a shorter stroke can result in higher engine speeds and horsepower.</p><h2>5. Which type of engine is better for high-performance vehicles?</h2><p>It depends on the specific requirements and design of the vehicle. In general, a long-stroke engine may be better for low-end torque and fuel efficiency, while an undersquare engine may be better for high-end horsepower and speed.</p>

1. What is the difference between a long-stroke and undersquare engine?

A long-stroke engine has a longer piston stroke compared to its bore diameter, while an undersquare engine has a smaller stroke compared to its bore diameter.

2. What are the advantages of a long-stroke engine?

A long-stroke engine typically has more torque and better fuel efficiency compared to a short-stroke engine. It also tends to have a smoother and quieter operation.

3. What are the disadvantages of an undersquare engine?

An undersquare engine may have less torque and power compared to a long-stroke engine. It may also have a higher risk of engine knocking and overheating.

4. How does the stroke length affect engine performance?

The stroke length affects the engine's power, torque, and fuel efficiency. A longer stroke can produce more torque, while a shorter stroke can result in higher engine speeds and horsepower.

5. Which type of engine is better for high-performance vehicles?

It depends on the specific requirements and design of the vehicle. In general, a long-stroke engine may be better for low-end torque and fuel efficiency, while an undersquare engine may be better for high-end horsepower and speed.