Is Physics by Alonso and Finn the most mathematically challenging intro book?

In summary: It is significantly more difficult, but it'll prepare you much better for upper division physics courses.
AstroZombie
I am currently working through Serway’s Physics for scientists and engineers and the book seems to be fine, but the math does not seem to be calculus based. There are very few problems that incorporate anything more sophisticated than trig or vectors. I am currently in chapter 8.

I am wondering if this is common for all introductory physics texts?

Also, as the title asks, is Physics by Alonso and Finn more mathematically demanding, and therefore a better text to learn introductory physics from?(i.e. Will better prepare a student for junior/senior level physics courses.)

Or is it better to develop physical intuition and not be too concerned with the math at this point?

Also I realize chapter 8 may be too early to tell and if this is the case just let me know and that will be the end of it. I just want to learn from the best materials available to me so I can best be prepared for upper division courses.

Thank you for any advice in advance,
AZ

Physics news on Phys.org
hooray, I am also doing Serway's book. I am on chapter 9... May be we can exchange notes... I would say its important to develop physical intuition and at the same time keep learning math necessary. Once you master physical intuition , advanced physics is just applying these intuition using advanced math. That's what I think..

I would say that Serway's book is pretty good. The edition which I have (pdf) has 'Pitfalls' to let the student know where he/she can go wrong.

AstroZombie said:
I am wondering if this is common for all introductory physics texts?

Yes, this is typical. For a more mathematical treatment of mechanics, try an intermediate-level book like Kleppner and Kolenkow, or Fowles and Cassiday. For electromagnetism, try Griffiths.

jtbell said:
Yes, this is typical. For a more mathematical treatment of mechanics, try an intermediate-level book like Kleppner and Kolenkow, or Fowles and Cassiday. For electromagnetism, try Griffiths.

As Jtbell said, all introductory books I know of are like that. To get a more advanced treatment to could move to intermediate level texts listed above.

To IssacNewton, I agree that the book by Serway is good. I am currently using the 5th edition and my only complaint was that it does not incorporate much calculus. I have a B.S. in Mathematics so I figured I would start with a calculus level book but was dissapointed by the lack of depth. I have now realized that introductory physics is more focused on learning how to set up the problems from a description of a physical system without so much calculus in the way. I guess its because the publishers figure that the students have only taken Calculus I by the time they are taking the introductory physics course.

To the other two responses, thank you for the insight and I will check out the suggested books.

AZ

Oh you didn't say you have a math degree. You might not even like the intermediate books. The standard upper level/graduate texts are Goldstein for mechanics and Jackson for electromagnetism. Of course there's likely to be some details you are missing which will make reading those hard.

I like Serways Intro to Physics. It is very important to develop a physical intuition and learn how to set up physics problems, because more advanced texts will not hold your hand.

You also have to understand that just because you are great at math, being good at physics is not a given by default. It certainly helps a lot if you don't have to worry about learning how to do the math and can focus on the physics. But developing the physical intuition is so very important.

I guess the next step above that would be Taylor's Classical Mechanics which I absolutely love (its written in a very very clear way, almost too wordy but I like wordy), there's also Thorton and Marion which has the exact same material as Taylor, at the same level but is a lot more concise.

My official book for my junior level mechanics course is Taylor which is excellent TO LEARN FROM, I also have the Thorton book which I feel is great for a quicker REFERENCE, but I wouldn't want it to be my only book if I was looking at physics at the junior level for the first time.

Thanks for the advice hitmeoff and Phyisab****.

I'll go ahead and continue with Serway for practice, while working on one of the intermediate/graduate level texts.

AZ

B.S. in mathematics? Try Georg Joos' Theoretical Physics.

1. What makes Physics by Alonso and Finn a mathematically challenging intro book?

Physics by Alonso and Finn is considered to be a mathematically challenging intro book because it covers advanced mathematical concepts such as calculus, vectors, and differential equations. These topics can be difficult for students who have not yet mastered the basics of algebra and trigonometry.

2. Is Physics by Alonso and Finn suitable for beginners?

While Physics by Alonso and Finn is a challenging book, it is also a comprehensive and well-written textbook. It is suitable for beginners who are willing to put in the effort to understand the mathematical concepts and practice problem solving.

3. Are there any prerequisites for using Physics by Alonso and Finn?

Prior knowledge of algebra, trigonometry, and basic calculus is recommended for using Physics by Alonso and Finn. However, the book does provide a review of these topics in the beginning chapters.

4. How can I overcome the mathematical challenges in Physics by Alonso and Finn?

It is recommended to practice solving problems regularly and seek help from a tutor or teacher if needed. Additionally, breaking down complex equations into smaller parts and understanding the underlying concepts can also help in overcoming the mathematical challenges.

5. Is Physics by Alonso and Finn the only mathematically challenging intro book available?

No, there are many other physics textbooks that are considered mathematically challenging, such as "University Physics" by Young and Freedman and "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick. Each book may have a different approach and level of difficulty, so it is important to choose one that fits your learning style and level of understanding.