Implicit differentiation, whats going wrong?

In summary: Hey people can someone point out to me please where I'm going wrong with part B of this question, can't get it to look the answer in the book, d2y/dx2 = -3(x^6/y^7)- 3(x^2/y^3).My answer is listed below under part B section, but i can't manipulate it to look like the above answer :S, any help/tips greatly appreaciated cheers.
luckyducky87
Implicit differentiation, what's going wrong!?

Hey people can someone point out to me please where I'm going wrong with part B of this question, can't get it to look the answer in the book, d2y/dx2 = -3(x^6/y^7)- 3(x^2/y^3).

My answer is listed below under part B section, but i can't manipulate it to look like the above answer :S, any help/tips greatly appreaciated cheers,

5. Implicit Differentiation. If x^4 + y^4 = 16, use the following steps to find y''.

(a) Use implicit differentiation to find y',

dy/dx = -x^(3)/y^(3) - too easy

(b) Use the quotient or product rule to differentiate the expression for y' from part (a). Express your answer in terms of x and y only.

d^2/dx^2= ((-x^(3))/(-3y^(4)))*y''-(3x^(2))/(y^(3))

(c) Use the fact that x and y must satisfy x4 +y4 = 16 to simplify your answer to part

(b) to the following expression

d2y/dx2 = -48(x2/y7).

Physics news on Phys.org

The answer is d2y/dx2= -(3x^6/y^7) -(3x^2/y^3), cannot manipulate dy/dx = -x^3/y^3 to look like it though, any help or tips appreciated thanks,

lucky.

luckyducky87 said:
Hey people can someone point out to me please where I'm going wrong with part B of this question, can't get it to look the answer in the book, d2y/dx2 = -3(x^6/y^7)- 3(x^2/y^3).

My answer is listed below under part B section, but i can't manipulate it to look like the above answer :S, any help/tips greatly appreaciated cheers,

5. Implicit Differentiation. If x^4 + y^4 = 16, use the following steps to find y''.

(a) Use implicit differentiation to find y',

dy/dx = -x^(3)/y^(3) - too easy
Okay

(b) Use the quotient or product rule to differentiate the expression for y' from part (a). Express your answer in terms of x and y only.

d^2/dx^2= ((-x^(3))/(-3y^(4)))*y''-(3x^(2))/(y^(3))
I have no idea how you got that. In particular, I don't see how you got a y'' on the right when there was no y' on the right to begin with.

[tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}= \frac{-3x^2y^3- (-x^3)(3y^2)y'}{y^6}[/itex]
by the quotient rule. Now, to "express your answer in terms of x and y only", replace that y' with [itex]-x^3/y^3[/itex]:
[tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}= \frac{-3x^2y^3+ 3x^3y^2(-x^3/y^3)}{y^6}[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{-3x^2y^3- 3x^6y^{-1}}{y^6}= -3x^2\frac{y^4+ x^4}{y^7}[/itex]

(c) Use the fact that x and y must satisfy x4 +y4 = 16 to simplify your answer to part

(b) to the following expression

d2y/dx2 = -48(x2/y7).
[tex]-3x^2\frac{y^4+ x^4}{y^7}[/tex]
becomes
[tex]-3x^2\frac{16}{y^7}[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks, appreciate the help,

Lucky

FAQ: Implicit differentiation, whats going wrong?

1. What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a mathematical technique used to find the derivative of a function that is not easily expressed in terms of x and y. It involves differentiating both sides of an equation with respect to x and treating y as a function of x.

2. Why is implicit differentiation used?

Implicit differentiation is used when a function cannot be easily solved for y in terms of x. This often occurs when the equation contains both x and y, or when y is raised to a power other than 1.

3. What are the steps for performing implicit differentiation?

The steps for implicit differentiation include:1. Differentiate both sides of the equation with respect to x.2. Treat y as a function of x and use the chain rule to differentiate any terms involving y.3. Simplify the resulting equation by collecting like terms.4. Solve for the derivative dy/dx.

4. What common mistakes are made when using implicit differentiation?

Some common mistakes when using implicit differentiation include:- Forgetting to use the chain rule when differentiating terms with y.- Incorrectly applying the power rule.- Not simplifying the resulting equation correctly.- Not solving for dy/dx at the end.

5. Can implicit differentiation be used for any type of function?

Yes, implicit differentiation can be used for any type of function, as long as the equation is in terms of x and y. However, it may not always be the most efficient method for finding the derivative, so it is important to consider other techniques as well.

Back