Find Force at Support Point of Diving Board

In summary: I appreciate it.In summary, the diving board is 3.00 m long with a support point located at a distance of 1.00 m from the end. A diver weighing 490 N stands at the free end and the diving board has a uniform cross section and weighs 295 N. To find the force at the support point, the net torque is set to 0 and the formula F1*x_f1 - (w_diver * L) - (w_board * x_point) = 0 is used. After solving for F1, it is found to be 1912.5 N. However, it should be noted that there may be some uncertainty as to the exact location of the support point.
MAPgirl23
A diving board of length L = 3.00 m is supported at a point a distance 1.00 m from the end, and a diver weighing 490 N stands at the free end. The diving board is of uniform cross section and weighs 295 N.

Find the force at the support point.
** Now I know net torque = 0
Suppose F1 is the force applied at the support point and F2 is the force at the end that is held down.
(F1*x_f1) - (w_diver * L) - (w_board * x_point) = 0

x_f1 = 3.0 m * {490 N/(490N + 295N)} = 1.87 m ?

--> F1(1.87 m) - (490 N)(3.0 m) - (295 N)(1.0 m) = 0 solve for F1

F1 = {(490N)(3.0 m) + (295N)(1.0 m)}/1.87 m = 944 N which is wrong

how do I find x_f1? is my formula for F1 correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
MAPgirl23 said:
A diving board of length L = 3.00 m is supported at a point a distance 1.00 m from the end, and a diver weighing 490 N stands at the free end. The diving board is of uniform cross section and weighs 295 N.

Find the force at the support point.
** Now I know net torque = 0

Ok. So you're going to find the torque about the end of the board that is held fast right?

Suppose F1 is the force applied at the support point and F2 is the force at the end that is held down.
(F1*x_f1) - (w_diver * L) - (w_board * x_point) = 0

That's fine. You're getting the torque about the end that is held fast.

x_f1 = 3.0 m * {490 N/(490N + 295N)} = 1.87 m ?

Not sure why you did this. The length of the board is 3m. The support point is 1m from the free end. So it is 2m from the unfree end. x_f1=2m (draw a picture if you haven't)

Also the weight of the board acts at the center of the board. So that is half the length of the board from the end. so x_point=1.5m

Now you should be able to solve for F1.

learningphysics said:
Not sure why you did this. The length of the board is 3m. The support point is 1m from the free end. So it is 2m from the unfree end. x_f1=2m (draw a picture if you haven't)
Only the original poster knows for sure, but I would have guessed that the support point was 1m from the fixed end.

Doc Al said:
Only the original poster knows for sure, but I would have guessed that the support point was 1m from the fixed end.

Ah... you're probably right. The OP used "end" for the support point then "free end" later. That would also make more sense I believe for a diving board.

but if I make x_f1 = 1 m and F1 = {(490N)(3.0 m) + (295N)(1.0 m)}/1 m = 1765 N the answer is wrong.

MAPgirl23 said:
but if I make x_f1 = 1 m and F1 = {(490N)(3.0 m) + (295N)(1.0 m)}/1 m = 1765 N the answer is wrong.
The weight of the board acts at its middle, not at x = 1.0m.

so it acts at 1.5 m (L/2 = 3.0 m/2 = 1.5 m)

is x_f1 = 1.5 therefore:
F1 = {(490N)(3.0 m) + (295N)(1.5 m)}/1 m = 1912.5 m

thank you for all of your help.

What is the purpose of finding the force at the support point of a diving board?

The force at the support point of a diving board is important in determining the stability and safety of the board. It can also help in designing and constructing diving boards that can withstand the weight and impact of divers.

What factors affect the force at the support point of a diving board?

The force at the support point of a diving board is affected by several factors, including the weight of the diver, the angle of the diving board, the material and design of the board, and the strength and stability of the support structure.

How is the force at the support point of a diving board calculated?

The force at the support point of a diving board can be calculated using the principles of statics and the equations of equilibrium. This involves considering all the external forces acting on the board and ensuring that they are balanced in order to determine the magnitude and direction of the force at the support point.

Why is it important to find the force at the support point of a diving board?

Knowing the force at the support point of a diving board is crucial in ensuring the safety of divers and preventing accidents. It also helps in determining the maximum weight limit for divers and designing diving boards that can withstand the forces exerted on them.

How can the force at the support point of a diving board be increased?

The force at the support point of a diving board can be increased by increasing the stiffness and strength of the board and the support structure. This can be achieved through proper design and construction, using high-quality materials, and regularly maintaining the diving board.