Step-by-Step Guide to Evaluating a Tricky Definite Integral: sinx + 2cosx + 3

• Thread starter twalker40
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the definite integral in terms of pi is equal to pi/4, after substituting trigonometric objects with parametric formulae and using the 'tan(x/2)' substitution. This method was suggested by fellow users and involves manipulating the integral to become a rational integral.
twalker40
1. Evaluate exactly (in terms of [tex]\pi[/tex]) the definite integral [tex]\int^{\pi/2}_{-\-\pi/2}[/tex] [tex]\frac{dx}{sinx + 2cosx +3}[/tex]

Homework Equations

How do i do this? Step by step instructions if possible.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to manipulate the integral but still don't get anything. I also set the denominator as u. but then i cannot substitute du.

Help??

Physics news on Phys.org
Substitute trig. objects with parametric formulae:
sinx=2t/(1+t^2), cosx=(1-t^2)/(1+t^2), dx=2dt/(1+t^2)
and your trig. integrale becomes the rational integral
2*Integ[-1,1](1/(t^2+2*t+5)dt = pi/4

That's clever. Took me a moment to figure out why dx= 2dt/(1+t^2).

awesome... thanks a lot guys.

We didn't spend that much time on that identity so it totally slipped my mind. Thanks for the reminder!

1. What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area under a curve on a specific interval. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and is used to find the exact value of a function over a given interval.

2. How do I evaluate a tricky definite integral?

Evaluating a tricky definite integral involves breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts and using various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric identities to simplify the integral. The step-by-step guide outlined in this guide can help you navigate through the process.

3. Can I use a calculator to evaluate a definite integral?

Yes, you can use a calculator to evaluate a definite integral. However, it is important to understand the steps involved in the process to ensure accurate results. Additionally, not all calculators are capable of evaluating tricky definite integrals, so it is important to check the capabilities of your calculator beforehand.

4. What is the significance of the constants in the given integral?

The constants in the given integral, sinx + 2cosx + 3, represent the coefficients of the trigonometric functions. They impact the shape and position of the graph and must be taken into consideration when evaluating the integral.

5. Are there any general tips for evaluating tricky definite integrals?

Yes, here are a few general tips for evaluating tricky definite integrals:

• Start by simplifying the integral as much as possible using algebraic and trigonometric identities.
  • If the integral contains trigonometric functions, try using substitution to convert them into a simpler form.
  • For more complex integrals, use integration by parts to break it down into smaller parts.
  • Always check your answer by differentiating it to see if it matches the original function.