Circuits and resistors and batteries, oh my (a.k.a. I know nothing)

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving voltage and resistors, where the picture provided is causing confusion. The person understands that V=I*R, but is unsure about the positive ends between 1.5V and 2V. They are also unsure about what happens if there are 2 or 3 resistors in parallel instead of in series. The person is eventually able to solve the problem, with the help of someone else, and learns that voltage is the same across all parallel resistors and that current splits, while in series, voltage divides.
rubytuesday

Homework Statement

The picture given to me was this one:

p18-36alt.gif

Homework Equations

I've been reading through the book but I don't really understand what I'm looking at. I know that V=I*R. I'm confused about the part between 1.5V and 2V--what does it mean that it's positive at both ends?

Adding up all the resistances will give me the emf (I think), and since I'm given B1 I'm supposed to be able to figure it out, but that positive-positive part throws me off.

Also, what happens if there were 2 or 3 in parallel instead of in series? There's a question later on that looks like the picture above but much uglier with billions of resistors in all different directions and it's really intimidating me since I can't even figure out this weeny problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
rubytuesday said:

Homework Statement

The picture given to me was this one:

p18-36alt.gif

Homework Equations

I've been reading through the book but I don't really understand what I'm looking at. I know that V=I*R. I'm confused about the part between 1.5V and 2V--what does it mean that it's positive at both ends?

Adding up all the resistances will give me the emf (I think), and since I'm given B1 I'm supposed to be able to figure it out, but that positive-positive part throws me off.

Also, what happens if there were 2 or 3 in parallel instead of in series? There's a question later on that looks like the picture above but much uglier with billions of resistors in all different directions and it's really intimidating me since I can't even figure out this weeny problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

When you take a voltage loop then they merely add or subtract depending on whether they are adding or subtracting from positive voltage.

I would read that for instance as (8 - B1) V

Thanks! I did it the dumbed-down way (B1-2+1.5...) but you were right!

If resistors are in parallel, do you just divide the voltage among the resistors? Or is that completely off the wall? Sorry to bother you again.

rubytuesday said:
Thanks! I did it the dumbed-down way (B1-2+1.5...) but you were right!

If resistors are in parallel, do you just divide the voltage among the resistors? Or is that completely off the wall? Sorry to bother you again.

Voltage is the same across all || Resistors.

It's current that splits.

If resistors are in series, then voltage divides.

Thank you!

1. What is a circuit?

A circuit is a closed loop or pathway through which electricity can flow. It is made up of various components such as wires, resistors, and batteries, and is used to power electronic devices.

2. What is a resistor?

A resistor is an electronic component that is used to limit the flow of electric current in a circuit. It is typically made of a material that resists the flow of electricity, such as carbon or metal, and is measured in ohms.

3. How do resistors affect a circuit?

Resistors are used to control the amount of current flowing through a circuit. They can be used to reduce the voltage, limit the current, or divide the voltage in a circuit. They also help to protect other components from excessive current.

4. What is the purpose of a battery in a circuit?

A battery is a device that converts stored chemical energy into electrical energy. It provides the power source for a circuit, allowing the flow of electrons through the circuit to power electronic devices.

5. How are circuits and resistors connected to batteries?

Circuits and resistors are connected to batteries in series or parallel. In series, the components are connected one after another in a single loop, while in parallel, the components are connected side by side, allowing for multiple paths for the current to flow.