I know more calculus than precalc (entering univ. in the fall)

In summary, the conversation discussed the challenges of learning math due to a bad teacher and a slow class. The individual plans to self-study Calculus and physics over the summer and is aiming for a 4 on the AB calc test. They also mentioned the importance of knowing trigonometric functions and identities for success in calculus.
Null_
Here's the deal...I had a really bad precalc teacher in high school. She had a baby a week into the course and we had a generic watch-movies, do crossword puzzles sub for the rest of the year. The class made me unmotivated for math, so I didn't try to learn anything on my own.

This year in ap calculus, I had a good teacher, but a slow class. We only spent about 2 weeks on integrals. I plan to self-study Calculus this summer. I don't know much trig other than what I've had to use in calculus.

So far it's been okay just picking up on the trig that I need to know as I'm learning in Calculus. Is it fine to continue like this, or should I spend a week or two reviewing solely trig?

I'm also going to self-study physics some this summer because I've never taken a class (scheduling issues...) I was given a textbook for scientists and engineers. :)

I'm going to school for engineering (chemical, most likely). I really enjoy calculus. I got a 710 on the Math IIC sat subject test a few weeks ago. I am most positive that I got all of the alegbra questions right and only missed trig. I also expect to get a 4 on the AB calc test, to give you some idea of comparison to others.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm in the same boat, and I haven't had any trouble yet. I just finished learning real analysis and some group theory this semester. If I need some pre-calc stuff I just go back to the book and figure out what I'm missing.

You'll definitely want to get to know your trig functions inside and out (however you decide to do this is up to you, do it the way in which you'll learn best). The only other thing that screwed me up because of my absence of pre-calc knowledge was conic sections (we briefly covered these again in Calc II), but if you know your trig well you should be just fine for beginning calculus.

the main things would be your units circle and all of the trigometric identities which you probably have been exposed to. I would try to have the basics memorized though. You'll find it useful later on.

I understand that everyone learns at their own pace and has different experiences with teachers and subjects. It seems like you have had some challenges with your precalculus class, but you have taken the initiative to self-study and improve your understanding of calculus. That is commendable and shows your determination to succeed in your academic pursuits.

In terms of your question about whether to spend time solely reviewing trigonometry, it ultimately depends on your comfort level and understanding of the trigonometry concepts that are relevant to calculus. If you feel confident in your ability to pick up the necessary trigonometry as you continue to learn calculus, then it may not be necessary to spend a significant amount of time reviewing solely trigonometry. However, if you feel that you are struggling with certain trigonometry concepts and it is affecting your understanding of calculus, then it may be beneficial to spend some time reviewing those concepts.

As for self-studying physics, it is great that you are taking the initiative to learn a new subject on your own. However, it is important to keep in mind that physics is a complex subject and it may be challenging to fully grasp the concepts without the guidance of a teacher. If possible, I would recommend taking a physics class or seeking out a tutor to supplement your self-study.

Overall, it sounds like you have a strong foundation in mathematics and a passion for calculus, which will be beneficial for your future studies in engineering. Keep up the determination and hard work, and don't be afraid to seek out additional help or resources if needed. Good luck in your academic journey!

What is calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change. It involves the concepts of derivatives and integrals, which are used to analyze and solve problems related to rates of change, optimization, and motion.

What is the difference between calculus and precalculus?

Calculus builds upon the concepts and skills learned in precalculus, but it goes further by introducing new concepts such as limits, derivatives, and integrals. Precalculus focuses on algebra, trigonometry, and other fundamental mathematical concepts, while calculus involves more advanced techniques and applications.

Why is it important to know more calculus than precalculus before entering university?

Calculus is a fundamental tool used in many fields of study, including physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. By having a strong foundation in calculus, students will be better prepared for the more complex and advanced applications of mathematics in their chosen field of study.

What topics should I focus on in order to improve my calculus skills?

Some important topics to focus on in calculus include limits, derivatives, integrals, and applications such as optimization and related rates. It is also helpful to have a strong understanding of algebra, trigonometry, and basic geometry.

How can I prepare for university-level calculus courses?

One way to prepare for university-level calculus courses is to review and practice the fundamental concepts and skills from precalculus. It is also helpful to seek out additional resources, such as textbooks or online tutorials, to gain a deeper understanding of the subject. Additionally, practicing problem-solving and critical thinking skills can also be beneficial for success in calculus courses.