Wave Equation with Continuous Piecewise Initial Velocity

In summary, the problem involves solving an equation with given initial conditions and limitations on the use of certain methods. The proposed solution involves using d'Almbert's solution, but there are difficulties with integrating a discontinuous function and meeting boundary conditions. Alternative approaches are being explored.
Claud123

Homework Statement

Hello I am asked to find the solution to the following equation no infinite series solutions allowed. We are given that there is a string of length 4 with the following...

ytt=yxx

With y(0,t) = 0 y(4,t) = 0 y(x,0) = 0 yt(x,0) = x from [0,2] and (4-x) from [2,4].

Homework Equations

given none

The Attempt at a Solution

Since I can't use an infinite series to solve this separation of variables and Fourier series is out. So instead I think we are expected to use d'Almbert's solution.

y = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex][g(x-ct) + g(x+ct)] + [tex]\frac{1}{2c}[/tex][tex]\int h(s) ds[/tex] from x-ct to x+ct.

Well we are given that the initial position function is just 0 so the g terms all drop out. However, I am stuck at the integration part. How exactly am I supposed to integrate d'Almbert's solution over this initial velocity?

***Note: I just noticed I used "Discontinuous in my title to describe the initial velocity which it is not. I understand why, I just used wrong wording at the time I wrote this. I guess this a continuous piecewise initial velocity would be a better description.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the difficulty? To integrate a discontinuous function, integrate whatever formula you are given up to the discontinuity, then continue with the next formula past the discontinuity.

If h(x)= x from 0 to 2, then
[tex]\int_{x-t}^{x+ t} h(s)ds= \int_{x- t}^{x+ t} s ds= \frac{1}{2}[(x+t)^2- (x- t)^2= 4xt[/math] for [itex]x+ t\le 2[/itex]
Note that if x+ t= 2, then t= 2- x so [itex]4xt= 4x(2- x)= 8x- 4x^2[/itex].

and then, for x+ t> 2,
[tex]8x- 4x^2+ \int_{2x- 2}^{x+ t} (4- s)ds[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
What is the difficulty? To integrate a discontinuous function, integrate whatever formula you are given up to the discontinuity, then continue with the next formula past the discontinuity.

If h(x)= x from 0 to 2, then
[tex]\int_{x-t}^{x+ t} h(s)ds= \int_{x- t}^{x+ t} s ds= \frac{1}{2}[(x+t)^2- (x- t)^2= 4xt[/math] for [itex]x+ t\le 2[/itex]
Note that if x+ t= 2, then t= 2- x so [itex]4xt= 4x(2- x)= 8x- 4x^2[/itex].

and then, for x+ t> 2,
[tex]8x- 4x^2+ \int_{2x- 2}^{x+ t} (4- s)ds[/tex]

Thank you for your response. However, I am running into a boundary condition issue when I run your integral for the regions [2,4], mainly that I need Y(x,t=0) = 0 .

I was thinking something along these lines would work.

[tex]\int_{x-t}^{x+t} f(s) ds = [/tex]
on region [0,2]
[tex]\int_{x-t}^{2} sds[/tex]
and on region [2,4]
[tex]\int_{x-t}^{2} sds + \int_{2}^{x+t}(4-s)ds[/tex]

but again I running into BC issues.

1. What is the wave equation with continuous piecewise initial velocity?

The wave equation with continuous piecewise initial velocity is a mathematical model used to describe the propagation of waves through a medium. It is derived from the principles of fluid dynamics and describes how a disturbance in a medium, such as a string or a beam of light, travels over time.

2. How is the wave equation with continuous piecewise initial velocity solved?

The wave equation with continuous piecewise initial velocity is typically solved using a technique called separation of variables. This involves separating the equation into two separate equations for space and time, and then finding a solution that satisfies both equations simultaneously.

3. What is the significance of the initial velocity in the wave equation?

The initial velocity in the wave equation represents the initial disturbance in the medium. It determines the shape and behavior of the wave over time, as well as the speed at which it propagates through the medium.

4. Can the wave equation with continuous piecewise initial velocity be used to model all types of waves?

While the wave equation with continuous piecewise initial velocity is a powerful tool for modeling many types of waves, it is not suitable for all situations. It assumes that the medium is continuous and homogeneous, and that the disturbance is small. In reality, there are many cases where these assumptions do not hold, and alternative equations must be used.

5. How is the wave equation with continuous piecewise initial velocity used in real-world applications?

The wave equation with continuous piecewise initial velocity has a wide range of applications, including in fields such as acoustics, optics, and electromagnetics. It is used to predict the behavior of waves in various systems, such as musical instruments, speakers, and radio antennas. It also has applications in medical imaging and earthquake prediction.