Angular Momentum Of A Particle

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the magnitude of a particle's angular momentum given its position and velocity vectors. The suggested method is to use the definition of angular momentum as the cross product of these vectors. The conversation includes links to helpful resources and ends with the suggestion to double check the calculation and find the magnitude of the resulting vector.
mrshappy0

Homework Statement

The position vector of a 1.0-kg particle is given by r = 4 i + 3 j + 3 k and its velocity by v = 5 i - 2 k. Find the magnitude of the particle's angular momentum in kg.m2/s.

Homework Equations

L=Iω

or

L=mvr

The Attempt at a Solution

This question is a real curve ball because I don't exactly know how to make sense of using this scalar system. I know that the object is moving in a linear path and that I am trying to find the angular momentum in relation to the origin. This means the angular momentum must be the same along the entire path. Thus the angular momentum would be mass*velocity*distance from the path of the particle to the parallel line extending from the origin. Since this problem is in the scalar form I don't really know what to do. I don't want an infraction so if you have any thoughts to help me move along that would be great. I have searched the internet to sources but nothing clarifies it well for me. I used hyperphysics.com which is usually great. Post any links that might help. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
mrshappy0 said:
Thus the angular momentum would be mass*velocity*distance from the path of the particle to the parallel line extending from the origin.
That's one way of looking at it. Consider the vector definition of angular momentum, since you're given the position and velocity vectors. See: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/amom.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
So would it just be (4 i + 3 j + 3 k)*(5 i - 2 k)(mass). Completely lost. I am not sure how to deal with the i,j,k.

mrshappy0 said:
So would it just be (4 i + 3 j + 3 k)*(5 i - 2 k)(mass). Completely lost. I am not sure how to deal with the i,j,k.
You need the cross product (also called the vector product) of those vectors. The cross product can be defined in terms of unit vectors, as given here: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/vvec.html"

I looked at both those pages and every page connected to them hours ago. I can't make sense of them. Super frusterated. Well the first page makes sense but finding the scalar product doesn't make sense.

mrshappy0 said:
I looked at both those pages and every page connected to them hours ago. I can't make sense of them. Super frusterated. Well the first page makes sense but finding the scalar product doesn't make sense.
You're not finding the scalar product here. (But the scalar product is the easy one, so I suspect you meant the vector product.)

Here's yet another presentation of the recipe for computing the cross product using unit vectors: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_product#Coordinate_notation"

Just follow the prescription and see what happens.

I got -5i+23j-k for r x v. Not sure where I go from here.

mrshappy0 said:
I got -5i+23j-k for r x v. Not sure where I go from here.
Double check that calculation.

Once you get the correct vector, find its magnitude just like any other vector.

1. What is Angular Momentum of a Particle?

Angular momentum of a particle is a physical quantity that measures the amount of rotational motion a particle possesses. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is Angular Momentum of a Particle calculated?

The formula for calculating angular momentum is L = Iω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity of the particle.

3. What is the unit of measurement for Angular Momentum of a Particle?

The SI unit for angular momentum is kilogram meter squared per second (kg m^2/s), but it can also be expressed in terms of other units such as joule seconds (J s) or newton meters per second (N m/s).

4. What factors affect the Angular Momentum of a Particle?

The angular momentum of a particle is affected by its moment of inertia, angular velocity, and the applied torque or force. Changes in any of these factors can result in a change in angular momentum.

5. What is the conservation law related to Angular Momentum of a Particle?

The conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless an external torque is applied. This means that if there are no external torques acting on a system, the total angular momentum will remain constant.