How to improve your concentration

In summary, this person suggests taking breaks, turning off distractions, and getting well rested in order to improve productivity. They also mention Prozac as a possible solution for those who find it difficult to focus.
matthyaouw
Gold Member
This is a place full to the brim with academics, so maybe you can help me out here. What do you do when you have work to do, but you just can't seem to get on with it?
My concentration is terrible at times, and today is no exception unfortunately... Surely some of you have had this problem before?

Physics news on Phys.org
Take breaks. And make sure you are well rested. I'm not to sure about this one but it can depend on the food you eat :uhh:

Turn off the TV, close the web browser, put on your favourite band and just give'r. The harder part is getting started, but after that, it's pretty easy.

You've got a bad case of inertia there, huh? (That's what I call it when you just can't motivate yourself to start a project.) Usually that happens when it's something I really just don't want to do, so easily find other things to do by way of procrastination. The best way to combat it is to figure out what the absolute easiest part of it is to do, and just do that to get you started, then once you're into it, it's easier to keep the momentum going. For example, on a homework set, look for the easiest problem, or just review the class notes before starting, on a lab report, write up the methods, those are always the easiest because you know what you did, on an essay or other report, maybe the easiest is to take a walk to the library and start gathering the reference books you'll need, and worry about really reading them later.

I find working in a place with no distractions (disconnect the internet, turn off the TV and phone, and use earphones for music...not radio where they interrupt to talk and you might start paying attention to that...does a good job for creating the right environment for me).

And, sometimes you just have to buckle down and do it. Last minute panic is a fantastic motivator when all else fails, but it's best not to have to resort to that too often.

I know its the wrong time to do work, but usually first thing in the morning when you are fresh and ready is better to do work and concentrate than in the evening. Some of my best homework was done before lessons started at school/college.

haha, great! I post two threads in the acdemics forums to help me in this problem, but they were no re-plies.

General discussion is the best for this issues, I might even start posting my physics questions here :biggrin:

ohhh...i do not know if this post is useful or no...but i was desperate to psot it since i long time, URrrrrrrrrrgh those people who ignored my thread there... :rofl:

One word: Prozac.

Thats the one right?

mattmns said:
One word: Prozac.

Thats the one right?

Nope, Ritalin. But not being able to make yourself sit down and do a project that seems a bit difficult or uninteresting doesn't mean you have ADD. If, even in the last minute flurry of panic a day before the deadline, you still find yourself unable to keep focused on task, then you might want to see if you have other symptoms. I think it's more rare for someone to always keep ahead of deadlines than for people to encounter cases of inertia.

matthyaouw said:
This is a place full to the brim with academics, so maybe you can help me out here. What do you do when you have work to do, but you just can't seem to get on with it?
My concentration is terrible at times, and today is no exception unfortunately... Surely some of you have had this problem before?

I have a screen saver on my work computer just for those occasions. It goes searching for large documents and outputs them on my screen one character at a time, complete with sound effects that sound like typing. Since I sit with my back to the door, no ones knows the difference (except when they start wondering how I ever became so proficient at typing with my nose).

Tea is accepted amongst many circles to be one of the most productivity enhancing substances on earth. Works for me!

BobG said:
I have a screen saver on my work computer just for those occasions. It goes searching for large documents and outputs them on my screen one character at a time, complete with sound effects that sound like typing. Since I sit with my back to the door, no ones knows the difference (except when they start wondering how I ever became so proficient at typing with my nose).

I ABSOLUTELY MUST GET THAT! You have to help me! I may die of anxiety if you don't :yuck:

BobG said:

LOL! I want one of those! Oh, wait, nobody comes into check on me, that's my job to see that everyone is working...darn. Still, sounds cool!

In the Dilbert heyday, their website had a button on it that said, "The boss is coming!" and if you clicked on it, the screen went to an image of an excel spreadsheet. I loved that! :biggrin:

brewnog said:
Tea is accepted amongst many circles to be one of the most productivity enhancing substances on earth. Works for me!

Teabag! :grumpy:

BobG said:

Ok bob, now you have everyone asking for it, where can we get this? PLEASE!

Actually, it was a basic program I wrote back in the old Z-100 days. Wordstar, Peachtext, etc., all had black backgrounds with white letters, so it was easy to do. I don't think I could model Word (why doesn't someone sell a screen saver like this?)

1. How can I improve my concentration?

There are several ways to improve your concentration, including:

• Minimizing distractions: Find a quiet and clutter-free place to work, turn off your phone, and close unnecessary tabs on your computer.
  • Setting a timer: Set a timer for a specific period of time, such as 25 minutes, and focus solely on your task until the timer goes off.
  • Practicing mindfulness: Take a few deep breaths and focus on the present moment, letting go of any distracting thoughts.
  • Breaking tasks into smaller chunks: Large tasks can feel overwhelming, so break them into smaller, more manageable tasks to stay focused.
  • Taking breaks: It's important to take breaks throughout your work session to give your brain a rest and recharge.

2. How can I stay focused for longer periods of time?

Staying focused for long periods of time can be challenging, but there are a few techniques that can help:

• Set specific goals: Having a clear goal in mind can help you stay focused on what you need to accomplish.
  • Use positive self-talk: Instead of telling yourself "I can't do this," try saying "I can do this" to boost your motivation and focus.
  • Take care of your physical health: Make sure you are well-rested, hydrated, and have eaten a nutritious meal before trying to concentrate for a long period of time.
  • Change your environment: If you find yourself getting distracted in your current environment, try moving to a different location to see if it helps your focus.
  • Practice regularly: Like any skill, concentration takes practice. The more you work on it, the better you will become at staying focused for longer periods of time.

3. How does exercise affect concentration?

Regular exercise has been shown to have a positive impact on concentration. Exercise increases blood flow to the brain, which can improve cognitive function and help you stay focused. It also releases endorphins, which can boost your mood and reduce stress and anxiety, both of which can negatively affect concentration. It's recommended to incorporate at least 30 minutes of exercise into your daily routine to reap the benefits for your concentration.

4. Are there any foods that can help with concentration?

While there is no specific food that can magically improve your concentration, a healthy and balanced diet can support brain function and help you stay focused. Foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids, such as salmon and walnuts, have been linked to improved cognitive function. Foods high in antioxidants, such as blueberries and dark chocolate, can also benefit brain function. Additionally, staying hydrated by drinking enough water throughout the day can help with concentration.

5. How can technology be both helpful and harmful for concentration?

Technology can be a great tool for improving concentration, as there are many apps and tools designed to help you stay focused and organized. However, technology can also be a major source of distraction. It's important to set boundaries and limit your use of technology when trying to improve your concentration. Consider using apps that block social media or website blockers to prevent distractions. It's also helpful to turn off notifications on your phone and only check it during designated breaks.