What are the stresses in a lifting shackle and how do I calculate them?

• Thread starter willwoll100
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lifting
In summary: I suggest using a simple stress analysis program such as 'Analysis for Engineering Design' or 'SAS' which will give you the contact stresses and the corresponding failure modes. If you are having trouble locating a suitable program I can post the formulae.
willwoll100
Hello All,

I'm currently designing a lifting shackle to aid the recovery of a ROV, my problem is that I'd like to do some hand calculations to find the stresses in the shackle but I'm really not sure as to where to start.

I know how to calculate the stresses in the fixing holes but it's the point where either a hook or another shackle will be used.

I've looked all over the net and in Roark's but to no evail.

Please see the attached image.

Regards

Will

Attachments

• SHACKLE.jpg
    SHACKLE.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 690
Engineering news on Phys.org
The quick attached sketch shows the situations, I think you are describing.

It shows the lifting hook or bar applying double shear to the inverted U of your shackle. The lifting bar will also be in double shear, shown by sections AA and BB.

You should not be designing lifting apparatus if you do not understand this.

If you use a hook an additional consideration will be opening of the hook due to bending.

Attachments

• shackle.jpg
    shackle.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 814
Thanks for the reply, I do understand what effects will be apparent on the 'shackle' due to the loadings.

I don't think that a true double shear will be applied, my thinking was that there will be a moment applied due to the inverted U wanting to become a V and also a Hertz contact stress.

I think I need to know the best way to calculate the bending moment so that I can put it into a curved beam equation.

Conventional design usually follows Arthur Morley.

In his book " Strength of Materials" he gives extensive theory for hooks, rings, chain links etc.

The actual stength depends upon the cross section shape.

Wilson and Quereau at the University of Illinois did extensive testing and published tables to enable design.

"Engineering Exeriment Station Circular16".

There is a short version of the tables in

Strentgh of Materials by F L Singer - a more modern book than Morley.

Google gives this up to date reference.

http://www.crcnetbase.com/doi/abs/10.1201/9781420017823.ch14

Last edited:
Thanks a lot Studiot

Two more things,

Lifting gear is (should be) made of pretty chunky pieces of ductile metalwork.
As such there should no contact stress, brittle or fatigue failure issues and the gear should be to stocky to deflect into a V in the manner you suggest.

If you have trouble with the references, I will post the formulae.

There will be contact stresses however you hook it up.

But lifting tackle needs to be so beefy that this is not usually an problem. Also remember the material should be such as not to support failures spreading from the stress concentrations caused by contact stresses.

I once did a failure investigation on rollers supporting about 2500 tonnes that failed in this way because the material was not ductile enough.

What are lifting shackles used for?

Lifting shackles are used in industrial and construction settings to connect and support loads during lifting and rigging operations. They are commonly used in conjunction with cranes, hoists, and other lifting equipment.

What factors contribute to the stress on a lifting shackle?

The stress on a lifting shackle can be influenced by a variety of factors, including the weight of the load, the angle and direction of the lift, the type of shackle used, and the condition of the shackle and its attachments.

How do I determine the maximum load capacity for a lifting shackle?

The maximum load capacity for a lifting shackle is typically marked on the shackle itself, either in the form of a Working Load Limit (WLL) or Safe Working Load (SWL). This information should be obtained from the manufacturer and should always be adhered to for safe lifting operations.

What are the most common causes of lifting shackle failures?

The most common causes of lifting shackle failures include overloading the shackle beyond its rated capacity, using a damaged or worn shackle, using the wrong type of shackle for the application, and improper rigging techniques.

How often should lifting shackles be inspected and replaced?

Lifting shackles should be inspected before each use and periodically throughout their lifespan. The frequency of replacement will depend on the type of shackle, its usage, and the conditions it is exposed to. It is important to adhere to the manufacturer's recommendations for inspection and replacement to ensure safe lifting operations.