Create a Robot that Follows You with Simple Components | Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter T.O.E Dream
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Robot
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of making a basic robot that can follow a person or a sensor attached to them. The idea is inspired by golf bag carriers that follow their golfer around the course. The person asking for help is unsure if they have the skills to build such a robot and is seeking advice on how to do so.
T.O.E Dream
I need to make a basic robot (two wheels, two motors, etc.) follow me or a sensor, that will be attached to me. How would I do this? For example, I can have an IR Emitter on me and like two IR sensors on the robot; one that controls the left motor and one controls the right motor. I don't have any experience making robots so forgive me if I don't understand. Can I accomplish this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
T.O.E Dream said:
I need to make a basic robot (two wheels, two motors, etc.) follow me or a sensor, that will be attached to me. How would I do this? For example, I can have an IR Emitter on me and like two IR sensors on the robot; one that controls the left motor and one controls the right motor. I don't have any experience making robots so forgive me if I don't understand. Can I accomplish this?

I'd start by looking at the golf bag carrier things that follow their golfer around the course. I'm pretty sure I've heard of them, but don't know for sure if they exist. I'll try looking...

EDIT -- like this one I found with a google search on golf cart follows you

http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/20080516/an-autonomous-golf-caddy-that-follows-you-from-hole-to-hole/

Cool, i checked out the link and it's sort of what I had in mind. But I don't know if I can build it. Any ideas of how I can do it?

What is a "Robot that Follows You"?

A "Robot that Follows You" is a type of robot that has the ability to track and follow a person's movements. This can be achieved through various sensors and programming that allows the robot to detect and follow a person's position and movements.

How does a "Robot that Follows You" work?

A "Robot that Follows You" typically uses a combination of sensors, such as cameras, LiDAR, and infrared sensors, to detect a person's movements. The robot then uses this information to calculate its own movements and follow the person. It may also use artificial intelligence and machine learning algorithms to improve its tracking and following abilities.

What are the potential applications of a "Robot that Follows You"?

A "Robot that Follows You" has a wide range of potential applications, including personal assistance, security, and entertainment. It can also be used in industries such as healthcare, logistics, and manufacturing to improve efficiency and productivity.

What are the advantages of using a "Robot that Follows You"?

One of the main advantages of using a "Robot that Follows You" is convenience. It can assist with tasks and follow you around without requiring any physical effort from the user. It can also be helpful for individuals with mobility issues or disabilities. Additionally, these robots can potentially improve safety and productivity in various industries.

What are the potential challenges or concerns with using a "Robot that Follows You"?

Some potential challenges or concerns with using a "Robot that Follows You" include privacy concerns, as the robot may be equipped with cameras and other sensors that can collect personal information. There may also be safety concerns if the robot is not programmed properly or has malfunctioned. Additionally, there may be ethical considerations surrounding the use of these robots, particularly in industries where they may replace human workers.