Asking tips from experts: machining

In summary, the author is looking for advice on how to start applying mechanics concepts to real world projects. He has taken courses and read books on the subject, but is still unsure about how to proceed. He is looking for advice from other engineers.
thegreengineer
Good afternoon people. Today I don't want to ask something related to electronics or mathematics, but rather on another subject. In this case is about machining (as well as making my own mechanical pieces).

So what's the matter? You may ask. Well let me explain to you. In the last couple of years I've done several electronics projects, including a programmable clock, a twilight light circuit, a chick brooder, a variable power supply and a DC motor drive.

However I've thought that I should include more elements from other engineering disciplines, such as mechanics, fluid power, control engineering, etc. So I started looking at first on the branch of mechanics. I have taken the courses and read books on basic subjects ranging from classical mechanics (physics), vector mechanics (statics + dynamics), mechanics of materials and machine elements design. I have the theory, yet I don't know how to start on applying the concepts on making real world applications (like machines and robots).

I don't want to limit all my projects within the electronics realm
as well I want to diversify my projects, so I want to know how to start doing things like welding, or machining, or CNC, to produce my own mechanical parts (of course I know that some of them are already made and can be bought in places like Grainger).

I would appreciate your tips and insights on how to settle a "journey" on this. Peace.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you have a Community College or Continuing Education or Adult Education facility near you? They will often have very helpful classes like Metal Shop, Welding, CNC Operations, etc. In those classes, you get to work on projects (often of your own choice after you complete the basic project). :smile:

Likes thegreengineer
Would it be a little easier to get started with 3D printing?

Likes thegreengineer and berkeman
A good book on manufacturing processes might be helpful here. I like the one by Schey.

Likes thegreengineer
It may be worth reading one or more of the books Dave Gingery published on how to build machine tools from scratch. The result isn't a precision instrument, and buying a used lathe is cheaper than the labor hours involved, but building a Gingery lathe was a common stepping off point.

Likes jim hardy, thegreengineer and Dr.D
MarcusAu314 said:
I would appreciate your tips and insights on how to settle a "journey" on this.
You can start... here .

And, some links from the Homepage...

Then, of course... YouTube .Then, when you've perfected your skills... you can build one of these !

Personally, I'd really like to have a machine like this... . :cool:

Likes Asymptotic
The site Nidum linked to is very good, but it is run by and for professionals so you have to be careful about how you ask beginner questions. This other site is a little more friendly

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/forum.php

It's a pretty active place.

Likes jim hardy

1. What is the importance of asking tips from experts in machining?

Asking tips from experts in machining is important because they have the knowledge, skills, and experience in the field. They can provide valuable insights and techniques that can improve the machining process and ensure better quality products. They can also offer advice on safety measures and how to troubleshoot common issues.

2. How do I identify the right experts to ask for machining tips?

The right experts to ask for machining tips are those who have years of experience in the field, have a good reputation, and are willing to share their knowledge. You can also look for experts who have published articles or have a strong presence in the machining community. Networking and attending industry events can also help you connect with experts.

3. Can I ask for machining tips even if I am a beginner?

Yes, you can still ask for machining tips even if you are a beginner. In fact, it is highly recommended to seek advice from experts early on in your career to avoid developing bad habits and to learn the best practices from the start. Be honest about your level of experience and ask specific questions to get the most out of the expert's knowledge.

4. How should I approach an expert when asking for machining tips?

Approach the expert with respect and a willingness to learn. Introduce yourself, explain why you are seeking their advice, and ask if they have a few minutes to spare. Be respectful of their time and listen attentively to their responses. Take notes and ask follow-up questions if needed.

5. Is it appropriate to ask for machining tips for free?

It depends on the situation and the expert's preferences. Some experts may offer their advice for free as a way to give back to the community or to promote their services. Others may charge a consulting fee. It is best to clarify this beforehand and be prepared to compensate the expert for their time and expertise if needed.