Projectile basketball player

In summary: Looks good to me.In summary, a projectile basketball player has a flight time of 0.852 seconds and a center of mass at an elevation of 1.02m when he leaves the floor and 0.900m when he lands. By using kinematic equations and drawing a picture, the horizontal distance covered in the jump was found to be 2.80m. The magnitude of the velocity at the instant he leaves the floor was determined to be 5.21m/s, and his velocity, magnitude, and direction at the instance he returns to the floor were found to
~christina~
Gold Member
[SOLVED] projectile basketball player...

Homework Statement

In a jump to dunk a ball, a basketball star has a flight time of 0.852s (hang time)
His motion through space can be modeled as that of a particle at a point called his center of mass. His center of mass is at elevation of 1.02m when he leaves the floor and is at elevation 0.900m when he touches down again.

a) if he leaves the floor at an angle of 50.8 deg to the horizontal, what is the horizontal distance that he covers in the jump

b) determine the magnitude of the velocity at the instance he leaves the floor

c) what is his velocity, magnitude and direction at the instance he returns to the floor?

I drew a picture
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/876/59145339rq6.th.jpg

Homework Equations

kinematic equations

Vf= Vi + at

Vx= Vo cos theta

Vy= Vo sin theta

Sx= Sox+ Vxt + 0.5 a t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I was confused first of all about how I solve this since the initial height is higher than the final height so I guess I wouldnt' be able to just draw a line over to the other side of the trajectory to say that the initial height= 0.

Would I have to use the heights as is given?
such as the Soy= 1.85m and Sy= 0.900m?

(I just want to get this clear ..but I'll post my work after this assuming this is correct unless someone else says otherwise)

a.) to find the distance covered in the jump I think I would use the distance equation for the x component...

Sx= Sox + Vxt + 0.5axt

since a= 0 in x direction...
Vx= Vo cos theta

however for that you'd need Vo so I guess I need to plug into the y component of distanc to find the Vo...

Sy= Soy + Vyt+ 0.5at^2

Sy= 0.900m
Soy= 1.02m

Vy= Vo sin theta

a= -9.8
theta= 50.8 deg
t= 0.852s

Sy= Soy + Vyt+ 0.5at^2

0.900m= 1.85m + Vo sin (50.8) (0.852s) - 4.9 (0.852)^2

-.12= .660 Vo - 3.56

3.44 = .660 Vo

Vo= 5.21m/s

Since have Vo...plug into the x component of the distance equation

Sx= Sox + Vxt + 0.5 at^2
a= 0
Sox= 0
Sx= ?
Vx= Vo cos theta => 5.21m/s cos 50.8 = 3.29 m/s
Vo= 5.21 m/s
theta= 50.8 deg
t= 0.852s

Sx= 3.29m/s (0.852s)

Sx= 2.80 m ===> is it just me or this seems sort of small in x distance..:confused:

basically need a check on how things are going here

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
everything looks good to me.

b) determine the magnitude of his velocity at the instant he leaves the floor.

I think I found this in part a (Vo) since I had to plug that into the equation for the x distance so would it be ..

Vo=?

or
Vx= 5.21m/s cos 50.8= 3.29m/s

Vy= 5.21m/s sin 50.8= 4.04m/s

then

Vtotal= [tex]\sqrt{} (3.29m/s)^2 + (4.04m/s)^2[/tex]

Vtot= 5.21m/s ==> wait..this is the same as Vo..haha.. slaps forehead* => or is it??

c) what is his velocity, magnitude and direction , at the instance he returns to the floor?

t= 0.852 s
Vo= 5.21m/s
Sx= 2.80m
Sy= 0.900m
Soy= 1.02m
theta= 50.8

x component stays same...
Vx= Vocos theta
Vx= 5.21cos 50.8= 3.29m/s

Vx= 3.29m/s

Vy=?
Vfy= Voy + ayt

Vfy= Vosin theta - 9.8(0.852s)
Vfy= 5.21sin 50.8 - 8.35

Vfy= -4.31m/s or just 4.31m/s ==========> is this fine? I guess even though I got a

negative I can change it to a possitive though but I'm not sure.

Vtot= [tex]\sqrt{} (3.29m/s)^2 + (-4.31)^2[/tex]

Vtot= 5.21

HOW CAN THIS BE THE SAME AS BEFORE?

~christina~ said:
b) determine the magnitude of his velocity at the instant he leaves the floor.

I think I found this in part a (Vo) since I had to plug that into the equation for the x distance so would it be ..

Vo=?

or
Vx= 5.21m/s cos 50.8= 3.29m/s

Vy= 5.21m/s sin 50.8= 4.04m/s

then

Vtotal= [tex]\sqrt{} (3.29m/s)^2 + (4.04m/s)^2[/tex]

Vtot= 5.21m/s ==> wait..this is the same as Vo..haha.. slaps forehead* => or is it??
Of course it's the same. :smile:

c) what is his velocity, magnitude and direction , at the instance he returns to the floor?

t= 0.852 s
Vo= 5.21m/s
Sx= 2.80m
Sy= 0.900m
Soy= 1.02m
theta= 50.8

x component stays same...
Vx= Vocos theta
Vx= 5.21cos 50.8= 3.29m/s

Vx= 3.29m/s

Vy=?
Vfy= Voy + ayt

Vfy= Vosin theta - 9.8(0.852s)
Vfy= 5.21sin 50.8 - 8.35

Vfy= -4.31m/s or just 4.31m/s ==========> is this fine? I guess even though I got a

negative I can change it to a possitive though but I'm not sure.
Why change it? He's coming down, so Vfy should be negative. (Remember that you need to find direction as well as speed.)

Vtot= [tex]\sqrt{} (3.29m/s)^2 + (-4.31)^2[/tex]

Vtot= 5.21

HOW CAN THIS BE THE SAME AS BEFORE?
Check your arithmetic on that last step.

Fixed...

So vfy= -4.31m/s

and in the end I get after checking the math...It isn't the same..it's

V= 5.42m/s !

(more than the original and that makes sense sinc he's lower than the initial height thus the velocity is greater => I think that's how I'm supposed to think about that)

however for the direction...I was thinking about that..would it mean I have to find the angle??

I would think that entails the finding of the angle with tan I'm not quite sure about that...
not sure how the velocity component's look and which is which to plug into the

tan theta = y/x

would it be the velocity total that I found over the y component of the velocity?
like..so

tan theta= 5.42/ -4.31
tan theta= -1.25

theta= -51.5 ?

How is this?

Thank You Doc Al :smile:

~christina~ said:
Fixed...

So vfy= -4.31m/s

and in the end I get after checking the math...It isn't the same..it's

V= 5.42m/s !

(more than the original and that makes sense sinc he's lower than the initial height thus the velocity is greater => I think that's how I'm supposed to think about that)
Good.

however for the direction...I was thinking about that..would it mean I have to find the angle??

I would think that entails the finding of the angle with tan I'm not quite sure about that...
not sure how the velocity component's look and which is which to plug into the

tan theta = y/x
Good.

would it be the velocity total that I found over the y component of the velocity?
like..so
No, it would be: tan theta = Vy/Vx

I get is now...

so it would be

tan= Vy/Vx

tan= -4.31/ 3.29= -1.31

theta= -52.6 deg

Last edited:

1. What is a projectile basketball player?

A projectile basketball player is a player who is able to accurately and consistently shoot the ball towards the basket using a combination of force and trajectory.

2. How does a player become a projectile basketball player?

Becoming a projectile basketball player requires a combination of skill, technique, and practice. It also involves understanding the laws of physics, such as force, angle, and velocity, and how they affect the trajectory of the ball.

3. What role does physics play in being a successful projectile basketball player?

Physics plays a crucial role in being a successful projectile basketball player. It helps players understand the mechanics of shooting, such as the optimal angle and force needed to make a shot. It also allows players to adjust their technique to improve their accuracy and consistency.

4. Can anyone become a projectile basketball player?

While anyone can learn the basic skills of shooting a basketball, becoming a successful projectile basketball player requires a combination of natural talent, hard work, and dedication. Some people may have a natural aptitude for understanding and applying physics principles, which can give them an advantage in becoming a projectile basketball player.

5. What are some tips for improving as a projectile basketball player?

Some tips for improving as a projectile basketball player include practicing regularly, studying and understanding the physics of shooting, and seeking guidance and feedback from coaches or experienced players. It is also important to develop a consistent and repeatable technique, as well as staying physically fit and maintaining good form during games.