Is Time Really Worth Trading for Money?

• Thread starter plum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, humanity has the potential for both good and bad. We have the power to create and destroy, but we also have the power to connect and empathize. We are precious because we have the potential to do great things, but we also have the potential to do terrible things.
plum
Why would anyone want to put a price on their time? Once you sell it, you can't buy it back. A wage or salary represents only what you are worth to someone else, and society in general- never what you are worth to yourself.

Just a thought.

Physics news on Phys.org
plum said:
Why would anyone want to put a price on their time? Once you sell it, you can't buy it back. A wage or salary represents only what you are worth to someone else, and society in general- never what you are worth to yourself.

Just a thought.

Instead of saying time is precious, I would say that we are precious. Time only being precious in how it relates to potentially mortal beings.

Time and money

Not all get paid by the time they use during work. Some get paid fixed salaries and others get paid by comission or piece work.

In order to survive in the modern world you have to work and most of that is usually based on the amount of time you put in for an exchange of money.

In less developed countries some still survive off the land by hunting and farming but these activities still require a certain amount of effort and time.

mee said:
Instead of saying time is precious, I would say that we are precious. Time only being precious in how it relates to potentially mortal beings.

Life is precious.

plum said:

Just a thought.

Everybody's got to eat, and eating each other just doesn't sound all that appealing to me. :yuck:

Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life trying to save.

mee said:

You got to be joking.In what way we are precious?World would be much better off without us.
Time is money-I hate this.

Smurf said:
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have.

The statement is fine just like this without the fancy convoluted crap on the end. :smile:

tumor said:
You got to be joking.In what way we are precious?World would be much better off without us.
Time is money-I hate this.

Speak for yourself, the world may be better without you, but I know my presence here allows for greater possibility then simple plant or animal life.

Would the Earth be better without us? It would be nothing. Who would be there to enjoy a sunrise, or the soft, cool morning breeze. What would beauty mean to a tree, or a badger? Or do you mean Earth would be better without any life at all? What would beauty mean to a rock?

Humanity DOES have marvelous potential, for both good and bad. If you see only the bad side of us, then I pity you.

plum does have a point. Time, unlike money, can never reverse itself. One can easily gain or lose money, but once time is gone, it won't come back. Id much rather spend my life using my time wisely rather than allocating all my time for the sole purpose of making money, because if I did that, I would probably be miserable (but stinkin' rich).

1. What does it mean when people say "time is precious"?

When people say "time is precious," they are emphasizing the importance of using our time wisely and not wasting it. Time is a finite resource, and once it is gone, we can never get it back. Therefore, it is crucial to make the most of the time we have.

2. Why is time considered the most valuable resource?

Time is considered the most valuable resource because it is limited and cannot be replenished. We can always earn more money, but we cannot create more time. Time is also essential for achieving our goals, building relationships, and experiencing life to the fullest.

3. How can we make the most of our time?

There are several ways we can make the most of our time, including setting clear goals, prioritizing tasks, avoiding distractions, and learning to say no to things that do not align with our priorities. It is also essential to take breaks and practice self-care to avoid burnout and maximize productivity.

4. Is it possible to manage time effectively?

Yes, it is possible to manage time effectively by using time management techniques such as creating schedules, setting deadlines, and delegating tasks. It is also essential to identify and eliminate time-wasting activities and focus on the most important tasks to make the most of our time.

5. How can we teach children the value of time?

Children can learn the value of time by setting a good example as adults and involving them in time-related activities, such as setting timers for tasks and creating schedules. It is also crucial to explain the concept of time and how it is a limited resource that should be used wisely. Encouraging children to prioritize their tasks and avoid procrastination can also help them understand the value of time.