Roots of an equation (help)

• Thread starter venger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Roots
In summary: This will yield the other two roots. However, I would not recommend this method to students below, say, grade 10, as it is not necessary, and only adds to the burden of learning.In summary, to solve this problem, we need to find the roots of the equation x^3-7x-36=0. Using the "trial and error" method, we can quickly find that x=4 is a root of this equation. This means that the length of the prism is 4+3=7 cm, the width is 4-2=2 cm, and the height is 4-1=3 cm. Therefore, the dimensions of the prism are 7 cm x 2 cm x
venger

Homework Statement

Heres the question I'm tackling:
<b> the height of a prism is x-1, width x-2, length x+3 and the volume is 42cm cubed. Find the dimensions</b>

Homework Equations

Quadratic formula, common factor, family of functions

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that 7, 2 and 3 are multiples of 42 but i do not know how to show my work... I have this so far...
42=(x-1)(x-2)(x+3)
42=(x-1)(x^2-x-6)
42=(x^3-x^2-6x-x^2+x+6)
42=(x^3-2x^2-5x+6)

and I do not know if I am doing things right...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is that a rectangular, triangular, or what kind of prism..

Rectangular prism... sorry for the misleading question

42=(x-1)(x-2)(x+3)
42=(x-1)(x^2-x-6)

! That should be +x. Makes rest of your calculations wrong.

I got it to be
(x^3)-7x-36=0
or
(x^3)-7x+6=42

And that's all I got so far..
---
PS, 42 cubed? That adds another dyanmic..
Maybe (x^3)-7x+6=(42^3)
?

HEY, using simple random "pluggin in random numbers", I think the "x" is 4..
Therefore, the sides would be
(4-1), (4-2), (4+3)
or
3, 2, 7

Now, someone else explain an algebraic way of doing this:D

Ya well I am not really sure how to do all this... but that's a good theory.. It is a rectangular prism and 42 is 42cm^2. Although, I'm not even sure if I'm doing all this right

Yo ill tinks That works! THANKS

Although through the pluggin theory i need to know how to use the right methods to get to 4

Say you graphed it and that was the only solution

4 is the correct answer I just do not know how to get to it... My teacher vaguely told me anything about questions like this.

Graph..
y=(x^3)-7x-36

See where the 0 is..at 4.. What does that mean logically I don't know.:D

To solve the equation in this case, you could use the graphical method; i.e. find the roots of the equation x^3-7x-36=0. However, since this is a real problem, looking for a real, positive length, there are certain conditions that the solution must satisfy. Firstly, we are not interested in complex solutions. We note from above that x cannot be negative, or zero, (since then at least one of the sides has negative length, which has no meaning), and x cannot be 1 or 2 (since in each case this gives us a side with zero length)

So, simply start plugging in values starting with 3; you won't have to put many values into obtain the result!

Last edited:
I don't have a graphing calculator...

@/@ said:
Some search

you can use the ruffini rule and the rational root theorem

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruffini's_rule

look the section
Polynomial root-finding

IMHO, it is not necessary to learn these methods of finding roots to a cubic equation for these simple cases. At least one of the roots of problems of this level will be a small number, so "guessing" a solution is enough. Of course, if one wanted to find all the roots, and has found one a, say, using the "trial and error" method, then the equation can be reduced to a quadratic by dividing (x-a) into it. The remaining polynomial can be solved using the usual quadratic formula.

What is the definition of "Roots of an equation"?

The roots of an equation refer to the values of the variable that satisfy the equation and make it true. These values are often represented by the letter "x" and are the solutions to the equation.

How can I find the roots of an equation?

There are various methods for finding the roots of an equation, including graphing, factoring, and using the quadratic formula. The method used will depend on the type of equation and the level of precision needed.

Why are roots of an equation important?

Roots of an equation are important because they allow us to solve for unknown values and make predictions based on mathematical models. They also help us understand the behavior of a function and its relationship to the input and output variables.

What is the difference between real and complex roots of an equation?

Real roots of an equation are values that are part of the set of real numbers, while complex roots involve imaginary numbers. Complex roots occur when the discriminant of a quadratic equation is negative, and they are often represented by a combination of real and imaginary parts.

How do I know if an equation has multiple roots?

An equation may have multiple roots if it is a polynomial of degree greater than one. This means that there are multiple values of the variable that satisfy the equation. However, some equations may have repeated roots, where the same value satisfies the equation multiple times.