Light Bulb Filament: What Equations Describe Its Shape?

In summary, the shape of a light bulb filament is described using mathematical equations that model its physical properties and behavior. Factors such as the material, type of light bulb, voltage, current, and temperature influence the shape of the filament. The most commonly used equation is the power law equation, which relates radius to temperature and current. These equations provide a good approximation of the filament's shape but may have limitations in extreme conditions and may not account for factors such as thermal expansion and stress.
schulzy

Homework Statement

I want to modelling a light bulb filament in MATLAB, but I don't know, what functions describe this shape. My question is, what are equation (x,y,z) which describe the light bulb filament.

Attachments

• SEM_60-watt_light_bulb_filament_(75x).jpg
    SEM_60-watt_light_bulb_filament_(75x).jpg
    13 KB · Views: 408
Physics news on Phys.org
If you just mean a spiral shape then something like (x,y,z)=(Sin(t),Cos(t),t) should work using a parametric plot (in mathematica anyway, I don't use matlab).

I know that
x=cos(t)
y=sin(t)
z=b*t
these equation describe a simple spiral, but I want to drawing complicated shape, like in attachment.

1. How is the shape of a light bulb filament described?

The shape of a light bulb filament can be described using mathematical equations that model its physical properties and behavior.

2. What factors influence the shape of a light bulb filament?

The shape of a light bulb filament is influenced by factors such as the material it is made of, the type of light bulb, the voltage and current applied, and the temperature at which it operates.

3. What is the most commonly used equation to describe the shape of a light bulb filament?

The most commonly used equation to describe the shape of a light bulb filament is the power law equation, which relates the radius of the filament to the temperature and current applied.

4. How accurate are the equations used to describe the shape of a light bulb filament?

The accuracy of the equations used to describe the shape of a light bulb filament depends on many factors, such as the complexity of the filament's shape and the precision of the data used to determine the equations. Generally, these equations provide a good approximation of the filament's shape.

5. Are there any limitations to the equations used to describe the shape of a light bulb filament?

Yes, there are some limitations to the equations used to describe the shape of a light bulb filament. These equations may not accurately describe the behavior of the filament under extreme conditions, such as high temperatures or very low currents. Additionally, they may not account for factors such as thermal expansion and stress in the filament.