Euler-Lagrange equation derivation

In summary: Thanks for clearing that up for me. That's a clever trick to apply the one variable definition again. To be honest, it's bit unsettling to me that we disregard a term based on g and h being very small. However, I do realize in the derivation on the wikipedia page I linked that that term would be very small.
silmaril89
I'm trying to understand the derivation of the Euler-Lagrange equation from the classical action. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action...93Lagrange_equations_for_the_action_integral" has been my main source so far. The issue I'm having is proving the following equivalence:

[tex]
\int_{t_1}^{t_2} [L(x_{true} + \varepsilon, \dot{x}_{true} + \dot{\varepsilon},t) - L(x_{true}, \dot{x}_{true},t)] \mathrm{d}t = \int_{t_1}^{t_2} (\varepsilon \frac{\partial L}{\partial x} + \dot{\varepsilon} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}}) \mathrm{d}t
[/tex]

I understand the idea behind their equivalence intuitively, The derivative of a function is the change in that function, and I see how on the left side there is a representation of a small change in the lagrangian, but I'm having a hard time proving this to myself mathematically and I'd like some help.

I understand all the other steps shown in the derivation.

Thanks to anyone that responds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You should ignore the integral, and just focus on showing that the things under the integrals are equal. If you have a function f(x), then by definition of the derivative:

[f(x+h)-f(x)]/h=f'(x)

when h goes to zero.

Therefore f(x+h)-f(x)=h*f'(x)

This is for one variable, and the generalization to two variables is:

f(x+h,y+g)-f(x,y)=h*Dxf+g*Dyf

where Dx and Dy are the partial derivatives in the x-direction and y-direction respectively.

So just let y be x dot, and f be your Lagrangian, and you get the result.

Ok, that makes sense. I understand how it works with just one independent variable, but I did not realize the generalization to two variables. Thanks for that.

Last edited:
silmaril89 said:
Ok, that makes sense. I understand how it works with just one independent variable, but I didn't not realize the generalization to two variables. Thanks for that.

O, I didn't know that you know how it works with one variable. In that case:

f(x+h,y+g)-f(x,y)=[f(x+h,y+g)-f(x,y+g)]+[f(x,y+g)-f(x,y)]=
h*Dxf(x,y+g)+g*Dyf(x,y)

which you get just from the 1-variable definition of the derivative.

Now the key is that applying the one variable definition of the derivative again:

h*Dxf(x,y+g)=h*Dxf(x,y)+g*h*DxDyf(x,y)

and if g and h are really small, just keep the first term.

So f(x+h,y+g)-f(x,y)=h*Dxf(x,y+g)+g*Dyf(x,y)=h*Dxf(x,y)+g*Dyf(x,y)

Thanks for clearing that up for me. That's a clever trick to apply the one variable definition again. To be honest, it's bit unsettling to me that we disregard a term based on g and h being very small. However, I do realize in the derivation on the wikipedia page I linked that that term would be very small.

1. What is the significance of the Euler-Lagrange equation?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is a fundamental tool in the field of calculus of variations. It allows us to find the optimal solution for a certain mathematical problem, known as the "principle of least action". This equation is also widely used in physics, engineering, and other fields to model and solve various real-world problems.

2. How is the Euler-Lagrange equation derived?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is derived using the calculus of variations, which is a branch of mathematics that deals with finding optimal solutions for functionals (functions of functions). The equation itself is obtained by setting the derivative of the functional to zero and solving for the unknown function.

3. What are the assumptions made in deriving the Euler-Lagrange equation?

The derivation of the Euler-Lagrange equation assumes that the functional is differentiable and that the boundary conditions are fixed. It also assumes that the functional is stationary, meaning that small changes in the function will not affect the value of the functional.

4. Can the Euler-Lagrange equation be extended to multiple variables?

Yes, the Euler-Lagrange equation can be extended to multiple variables, known as the Euler-Lagrange equations of several variables. In this case, the equation becomes a system of partial differential equations that must be solved simultaneously to find the optimal solution for the functional.

5. What are some practical applications of the Euler-Lagrange equation?

The Euler-Lagrange equation has many practical applications in various fields, such as in mechanics, economics, and machine learning. It is used to optimize the paths of objects moving under the influence of forces, find the shortest path between two points, and determine the optimal control for a system. It is also used in the development of algorithms for machine learning and artificial intelligence.