What are the Matrices of the Regular Representation for the Cyclic Group C2?

In summary, the conversation discusses group theory and specifically the regular representation of the cyclic group C2 with elements e and a. The matrices for this representation can be found by assigning 1 to the identity and the other element to a matrix that interchanges the basis elements. This representation can be reduced into irreducible representation by diagonalizing the matrix over a field of characteristic other than 2.
PhysKid24
Hi,

I have a question regarding group theory. For the cyclic group C2 with elements e and a, what are the matrices of the regular representation? How do you find this? How would I reduce this representation into irreducible representation? Lastly, how do I find a matrix which brings the regualr representation into block diagonal form? Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
At last, some representation theory to do (my area).

The regular rep is two dimesional, saw with basis e and f corresponding to 1 and g in G resp.

1 is sent to the identity, natch, and g sends e to f and f to e, so it is the matrix

[tex]\left( \begin{array}{cc}0&1\\1&0\end{array} \right) [/tex]

i'm sure i can leave you to diagonalize that, over R or C (but not a field of characteristic 2).

Hi there,

The regular representation of a group is the most basic representation, where each element of the group is represented by a matrix. In the case of the cyclic group C2, with elements e and a, the regular representation would have two matrices: one for e and one for a.

To find the matrices for the regular representation, you can use the fact that the regular representation preserves the group operation. This means that the matrix for the identity element e should be the identity matrix, and the matrix for a should be such that when multiplied by itself, it gives the identity matrix. In this case, a simple 2x2 matrix with 1 in the top left and bottom right corners, and 0 in the other entries, would suffice.

To reduce the regular representation into irreducible representations, you can use the character table of the group. Each irreducible representation will have a unique character, which is the trace of its corresponding matrix. By finding the characters of the regular representation and comparing them to the character table, you can determine which irreducible representations are present in the regular representation.

To bring the regular representation into block diagonal form, you would need to find a similarity transformation matrix that diagonalizes the regular representation matrix. This can be done by finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the regular representation matrix, and constructing the similarity transformation matrix from these eigenvectors.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is regular representation?

The regular representation is a mathematical concept used in group theory to describe the structure and symmetry of a group. It is a fundamental tool for understanding the properties of a group and its elements.

2. How is regular representation defined?

The regular representation of a group is defined as a mapping from the group elements to linear transformations on a vector space. This means that each element of the group is represented by a matrix, and the group operation is represented by matrix multiplication.

3. What is the purpose of regular representation?

The regular representation allows us to study the structure of a group by analyzing the matrix representations of its elements. This can help us understand the symmetries and properties of the group, and can also be used to solve problems related to the group.

4. How is the regular representation of a group related to its subgroups?

The regular representation of a group can also be used to understand the structure of its subgroups. If a subgroup is a normal subgroup, then its regular representation is a subrepresentation of the regular representation of the larger group.

5. Can regular representation be applied to non-mathematical systems?

Yes, regular representation can be applied to any system that exhibits symmetry and can be described by a group. This includes physical systems such as molecules and crystals, as well as abstract systems such as social networks and communication protocols. Regular representation allows us to better understand the structure and behavior of these systems.