Register to reply

Detecting the THC molecule in room air

by floridagatorsr
Tags: airborn, chemical, detecting, molecule, room
Share this thread:
floridagatorsr
Dec17-13, 01:06 PM
P: 1
Is there a material or chemical substance that would have a visable change of any kind when exposed to THC? For example-something I can put in a room and detect if anyone is smoking pot in that area?
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Video: How did life on Earth begin?
Now you can turn your inkjet printer into a chemistry lab and use it to diagnose diabetes
Advanced molecular 'sieves' could be used for carbon capture
berkeman
Dec17-13, 01:35 PM
Mentor
P: 41,317
Quote Quote by floridagatorsr View Post
Is there a material or chemical substance that would have a visable change of any kind when exposed to THC? For example-something I can put in a room and detect if anyone is smoking pot in that area?
Welcome to the PF.

It looks like there are lots of test kits for saliva and so on:

https://www.google.com/search?source....0.xeiN7_Wzs04

But I'm not sure what the best way would be for airborne testing. Does the room have a central air heating/conditioning unit feeding it? If so, you might be able to test the particulates caught by the filter...
SteamKing
Dec17-13, 01:47 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 6,737
Most people use the Mark I Mod 0 Nasal Atmospheric Delivery System and Olfactory Sampling Device, or their nose.

nburns
Dec17-13, 03:02 PM
P: 28
Detecting the THC molecule in room air

Quote Quote by SteamKing View Post
Most people use the Mark I Mod 0 Nasal Atmospheric Delivery System and Olfactory Sampling Device, or their nose.
The US border control and police have a device that can accurately detect trace amounts of drugs by sampling the air, and signals detection with a visible change. The device is a dog.

Register to reply