Centripetal Motion: Resolving Mistake with Diameter

In summary, centripetal motion is the circular motion of an object caused by a centripetal force acting towards the center of the circle. It is related to resolving mistakes with diameter as the diameter vector can affect calculations and understanding of the motion. The diameter plays a role in determining the radius of the circle, which is used in calculations for centripetal force and velocity. To resolve mistakes with diameter, the direction of the diameter vector must be identified and ensured to be perpendicular to the force vector. Some real-life examples of centripetal motion include cars turning, the moon orbiting the Earth, and the movement of a satellite in orbit.
pureouchies4717
resolved thanks to astronuc... radius = d/2

i accidentally used the diameter as my radius

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, let the period T = 1/f = 4.4 s.

and f = [itex]\omega[/itex] /2[itex]\pi[/itex]

and the centripetal force = Fc = m[itex]\omega^2[/itex]r = mv2/r, where r is the radius of the circular trajectory.

Also don't forget the rider is still in a gravitational field, so don't forget the rider's weight due to gravity, mg, which is always down.

See references on circular motion - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/circ.html#circ

in my calculations for centripetal motion, but thanks to astronuc's correction, I have now resolved my mistake. The correct formula for centripetal motion is r = d/2, where r is the radius and d is the diameter. This is a common mistake, but it is important to remember that the radius is always half of the diameter in a circle. Thank you, astronuc, for helping me correct my error and improving the accuracy of my research.

Related to Centripetal Motion: Resolving Mistake with Diameter

1. What is centripetal motion?

Centripetal motion is the motion of an object that moves in a circular path with a constant speed. It is caused by a centripetal force that acts towards the center of the circle, keeping the object in its circular path.

2. How is centripetal motion related to resolving mistakes with diameter?

In centripetal motion, the force and velocity vectors are always perpendicular to each other. However, in resolving mistakes with diameter, the diameter vector is not always perpendicular to the force vector. This can lead to errors in calculations and understanding of the motion.

3. What is the role of diameter in centripetal motion?

The diameter of a circle is the distance across the circle through its center. In centripetal motion, the diameter is important because it determines the radius of the circle, which is used in calculations to determine the centripetal force and velocity of the object.

4. Can you explain how to resolve mistakes with diameter in centripetal motion?

To resolve mistakes with diameter in centripetal motion, you need to identify the direction of the diameter vector and ensure that it is perpendicular to the force vector. This can be done by drawing a diagram and using trigonometric functions to determine the correct angle between the two vectors.

5. What are some real-life examples of centripetal motion?

Some common examples of centripetal motion include a car turning around a curve, the moon orbiting around the Earth, and a roller coaster moving along a loop. Other examples include the rotation of a washing machine, the motion of a spinning top, and the movement of a satellite in orbit around a planet.