Calculating Work Done by a Push: Weight vs Push Forces

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate work using the formula force x distance. The speaker has a question about which force to use when there are multiple forces involved. It is clarified that the only force that contributes to work is the one in the same direction as the object's displacement. The speaker also confirms their understanding that the weight is used if the displacement is downward and the push is used if it's horizontal. However, it is important to carefully read the question to determine which specific force is being asked for.
kaweezah
my teacher gave the class a quiz and one of the questions was to calculate the work done. the formula for work is force x distance. my problem was that their were two forces given, the weight and the exerted push.. which one should i have used?

Physics news on Phys.org
Which way is the object moving? The only force that contributes to the work on an object is the component in the direction of the object's displacement.

You should take into account the force portion which is in the same direction of the movement. Anyway, it is better to describe the scenario more in detail.

so if the displacement is downward i use the weight and if it's horizontal i use the push. am i getting the idea correctly?

kaweezah said:
so if the displacement is downward i use the weight and if it's horizontal i use the push. am i getting the idea correctly?
That's right, but be sure to read the question carefully. They are probably asking for the work done by the push (not the work done by all forces). If so, the weight is irrelevant regardless of how it moves.

1. What is work done?

Work done is defined as the product of the force applied to an object and the displacement of that object in the direction of the force. It is a measure of energy transfer and is expressed in joules (J).

2. How is work done related to weight and push?

Work done is directly related to both weight and push. Weight is the force of gravity acting on an object and push is the force applied to an object. Both weight and push contribute to the overall force acting on an object, which determines the amount of work done.

3. Is work done the same for weight and push?

No, work done is not necessarily the same for weight and push. This is because weight is a constant force, while push can vary in magnitude and direction. Therefore, the displacement of an object may differ depending on whether it is being pushed or pulled, resulting in a different amount of work done.

4. How does the angle of push affect work done?

The angle of push does affect the amount of work done. The force applied in the direction of displacement (parallel to the displacement) contributes to the work done, while the force applied perpendicular to the displacement does not contribute to work done. Therefore, the greater the angle between the direction of push and the direction of displacement, the less work is done.

5. Can you determine the amount of work done without knowing the weight or push?

No, the amount of work done cannot be determined without knowing the weight and push. Both of these factors are necessary in calculating the overall force acting on an object, which is essential in determining the amount of work done. Without this information, the work done cannot be accurately calculated.