Would one be pushing as much as their weight?

biomajor
Homework Statement
In the following video, there is a machine. https://youtu.be/a_CGlAnxO5c It looks like a chest press machine but doesn't have weights attached - only attached to the chair. Would one be lifting as much as they weigh?
Relevant Equations
I was thinking it might have something to do with W = F•d
Because one is effectively pushing in the same way as a chest press machine, wouldn't the work done be the same?

1700758031609.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Yes, it does look like how you describe it. The only caveat would be the ratio between the chest press distance and the chair lift distance. I couldn't tell if it was 1:1 or maybe more like 2:1. The work will still be the same, but you would only be pressing half of your weight in the latter case.

berkeman said:
Welcome to PF.

Yes, it does look like how you describe it. The only caveat would be the ratio between the chest press distance and the chair lift distance. I couldn't tell if it was 1:1 or maybe more like 2:1. The work will still be the same, but you would only be pressing half of your weight in the latter case.

Hello! Thank you for the warm welcome!
If it is not too much trouble, may I ask how the ratio would change the weight but not the work? I imagined it as a pulley system so the weight would be the same but the work done would change because of differing distances? Is this an incorrect way to look at it?

Likes berkeman

1. What does it mean to push as much as one's weight?

Pushing as much as one's weight means exerting the same amount of force or effort as one's own body weight. This can refer to physical activities such as lifting or pushing objects, or it can also be used figuratively to describe someone who is working very hard or giving their all.

2. Is it possible to push more than one's weight?

Yes, it is possible to push more than one's weight. This can be achieved through the use of leverage or mechanical advantage, where a smaller force can be used to move a larger object. It can also be achieved through training and building strength, allowing a person to push or lift more than their own body weight.

3. How does one determine how much weight they can push?

The amount of weight one can push depends on various factors such as their physical strength, body size and weight, and the specific task or activity they are attempting. It is important to listen to your body and not push beyond your limits to avoid injury.

4. What are the benefits of being able to push as much as one's weight?

Pushing as much as one's weight can have numerous benefits, including building strength and muscle mass, improving overall physical fitness and endurance, and increasing self-confidence. It can also be useful in daily tasks and activities, making them easier to complete.

5. Are there any risks involved in pushing as much as one's weight?

Yes, there are some risks involved in pushing as much as one's weight, especially if proper form and technique are not used. This can lead to strain or injury to muscles and joints. It is important to consult a professional and use caution when attempting to push heavy weights.