Argument of Complex Number: Begin at (-3,2) - 135 Degrees

In summary, the statement "arg(z+3-2i)= 135 degrees" means that the vector from z+3-2i to the origin makes a 135 degree angle with the real axis. This also means that the center of the vector is at (-3, 2), and the argument begins at this point and goes 135 degrees counter clockwise. To determine possible values for z, we can represent z+3-2i as a vector with its tail at (-3, 2) and its point at z, and then sweep 135 degrees counter clockwise from a horizontal line. This results in the equation z = x+(-x-1)i, where x can be any real number.
Solidmozza
Hi everybody!
Could somebody please assist me with an explanation as to why the following: arg (z+3-2i) = 135degrees : has its centre at -3,2 and that is the place where you begin the argument (ie go 135 degrees)
Please note, just beginning complex numbers. Sorry if can't understand question.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
It would be nice to tell us exactly what you are trying to find! I.e. what do you go 135 degrees to?

The statement that "arg(z+ 3- 2i)= 135 degrees" means that the line from the number z+3- 2i to the origin (0) makes a 135 degree angle with the real axis. I imagine the problem asks you to determine possible values for z.
Write z+ 3- 2i as z- (-3+ 2i). The complex number -3+ 2i is represented on the Argand diagram by the point (-3, 2). We can think of z- (-3+2i) as a vector with its tail at (-3, 2) and its point at z. Now, starting from a horizontal line (parallel to the real axis), sweep 135 degrees counter clockwise (that gets you to the "upper left" quadrant, 45 degrees from either axis). z could be any point on that line. If this line were through (0,0) on an xy- plane, it would be the line y= -x: slope -1. Since it must go through (-3, 2), it has equation y= -(x+3)+ 2= -x- 1: z = x+(-x-1)i for x any real number.

Sure, I'd be happy to help with your question about complex numbers. The argument of a complex number refers to the angle that the complex number makes with the positive real axis on the complex plane. In this case, the complex number is z+3-2i, which can be written as (x+3)+i(y-2), where x and y are the real and imaginary parts, respectively.

Starting at the point (-3,2) on the complex plane, we can see that the real part of z+3-2i is -3, and the imaginary part is 2. This means that the complex number is located in the third quadrant, as both the real and imaginary parts are negative.

Now, the argument is the angle that the complex number makes with the positive real axis, which is the horizontal axis on the complex plane. Since the complex number is in the third quadrant, the angle will be measured in the clockwise direction from the positive real axis.

In order to determine the argument, we can use the inverse tangent function, also known as arctan, to find the angle. In this case, we have arctan(2/-3) = -33.69 degrees. However, since the angle is measured clockwise from the positive real axis, we need to subtract this value from 180 degrees to get the argument of 135 degrees.

Therefore, the argument of z+3-2i, starting at (-3,2), is 135 degrees. This means that the complex number makes an angle of 135 degrees with the positive real axis, and its centre is located at (-3,2) on the complex plane. I hope this helps clarify your understanding of complex numbers and their arguments. Keep up the good work in learning about this fascinating topic!

What is the argument of a complex number?

The argument of a complex number is the angle between the positive real axis and the vector representing the complex number in the complex plane.

How do you find the argument of a complex number?

To find the argument of a complex number, you can use the formula arg(z) = tan^-1(b/a), where z = a + bi and a and b are the real and imaginary parts of the complex number.

What is the significance of the argument of a complex number?

The argument of a complex number helps to determine the direction of the vector representing the complex number and is useful in solving mathematical problems involving complex numbers.

How do you interpret a negative argument of a complex number?

A negative argument of a complex number means that the vector representing the complex number is in the opposite direction of the positive real axis in the complex plane.

What is the argument of the complex number (-3,2) - 135 Degrees?

The argument of the complex number (-3,2) - 135 Degrees is -135 degrees or -3π/4 radians. This means that the vector representing the complex number is pointing in the third quadrant of the complex plane, opposite to the positive real axis.