Complex Number Modulus and Argument Calculations

In summary: So, if we solve for ##\alpha##, we'll get a number that's close to ##\pi##.In summary, the student attempted to solve a problem but did not provide a clear explanation of how they got their answers.
chwala
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The complex number ##u## is defined by ## u= 6-3i/1+2i##
i) Showing all your working find the modulus of u and show that the argument is ## -1/2π##
ii) For the complex number Z satisfying ##arg(Z-u)= 1/4π##, find the least possible value of mod | Z |
iii) For complex number Z, satisfying mod | Z-(1+i)u| = 1 find the greatest possible value of | Z |2. Homework Equations 3. The Attempt at a Solution
i) I have no problem with this one
##6-3i/1+2i ×1-2i/1-2i = -3i## next to get argument we shall have ## 0-3i## where sin^-1## (-3/3)=-1##
it follows that ## ∅= -90^0 ## which is equal to ##-1/2π## which is correct answer as per marking scheme

ii) i have a problem here, all the same my attempt
##Z- (6-3i/1+2i)##
= sin^-1 ##(1/√2) ##
this is from sin^-1 ##(1/√2) ## = ##1/4π##
##Z- (6-3i/1+2i)##=##1+i##
##Z##=##1+i+(6-3i/1+2i)##
=##(5/1+2i)##
and
##5/1+2i##
=##1-2i##
and
##|1-2i|=√5##

This is my second attempt
arg ##Z+(1/2π)## =##1/4π##.........

the correct answer to this problem is
is ##3/2√2## kindly assist

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
chwala said:

Homework Statement

The complex number ##u## is defined by ## u= 6-3i/1+2i##
i) Showing all your working find the modulus of u and show that the argument is ## -1/2π##
ii) For the complex number Z satisfying ##arg(Z-u)= 1/4π##, find the least possible value of mod | Z |
iii) For complex number Z, satisfying mod | Z-(1+i)u| = 1 find the greatest possible value of | Z |2. Homework Equations 3. The Attempt at a Solution
i) I have no problem with this one
##6-3i/1+2i ×1-2i/1-2i = -3i## next to get argument we shall have ## 0-3i## where sin^-1## (-3/3)=-1##
it follows that ## ∅= -90^0 ## which is equal to ##-1/2π## which is correct answer as per marking scheme

ii) i have a problem here, all the same my attempt
##Z- (6-3i/1+2i)##
= sin^-1 ##(1/√2) ##
this is from sin^-1 ##(1/√2) ## = ##1/4π##
##Z- (6-3i/1+2i)##=##1+i##
##Z##=##1+i+(6-3i/1+2i)##
=##(5/1+2i)##
and
##5/1+2i##
=##1-2i##
and
##|1-2i|=√5##

This is my second attempt
arg ##Z+(1/2π)## =##1/4π##.........

the correct answer to this problem is
is ##3/2√2## kindly assist

First, you can't write ##1/2\pi## and expect us to know whether you mean ##1/(2\pi)## or ##\pi/2##.

In your first step, you show that ##u = -3i##, but you don't use this simpler expression in what follows.

I would try a geometric approach to (ii) and (iii). Can you see what these equations involving ##u## imply?

PLease use brackets. It isn't clear whether you mean ## u= 6-3i/1+2i = 6-3i +2i##,
## u= 6-(3i/1+2i) ## or ##
u= (6-3i)/(1+2i)##. I assume this last one.

Another way is to use \frac { } { } or \over in ##\TeX##.

Last edited:
thanks for the correction...the original problem is ## u=(6-3i)/(1+2i)## i have managed to solve both problem as follows:
arg ##(z-u)= (1/4)π##
##⇒z=u , z=-3i ##now i managed to sketch this on an argand diagram...and this makes an angle of ∅= (1/4)π with the real axis. and this line z= -(1/4)π with the real axis gives us z
z=3-3i
|z|= √(3^2+(-3)^2)= 3√2 ...the least possible value of |z|= (3/2)√2....this z line intersects with line from (0,0) at 90^0

for part iii)
locus is a circle with centre (3,-3) and radius r=1 the greatest possible value of |z| is the distance from the point (0,0) to furthest point on the circle and that is 3√2+1

Last edited by a moderator:
chwala said:
thanks for the correction...the original problem is ## u=(6-3i)/(1+2i)## i have managed to solve both problem as follows:
arg (z-u)= (1/4)π
⇒z=u , z=-3i now i managed to sketch this on an argand diagram...and this makes an angle of ∅= (1/4)π with the real axis. and this line z= -(1/4)π with the real axis gives us z
z=3-3i
|z|= √(3^2+(-3)^2)= 3√2 ...the least possible value of |z|= (3/2)√2....this z line intersects with line from (0,0) at 90^0

for part iii)
locus is a circle with centre (3,-3) and radius r=1 the greatest possible value of |z| is the distance from the point (0,0) to furthest point on the circle and that is 3√2+1

You perhaps need to work on explaining how you get your answers. It looks like you did exactly the right thing for parts ii) and iii) but your working isn't clear.

You don't have to post anything more here since you have got the answers, but perhaps something to think about for future problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for your reply though i wouldn't mind being given an alternative approach. Mathematics is'nt about answers only, it is also about understanding different approaches in solving problems, i would appreciate if there is a different approach.
for part ii) The least distance of |z| will intersect the line from point ## (0,0)## at ##90## degrees. otherwise thank you.

Well, as an alternative, more algebraic approach: your part ii) asks for a ##Z## for which ##\arg \left (Z-u \right) = {\pi\over 4}##.
The argument of a complex number ##\ \alpha = x + iy \ ##is the angle ##\ \phi\ ## for which ##\ \phi = \arctan \left ( {y\over x}\right ) \ ## if ##\ x > 0 \ ##, so in your case you are looking for $$\arg \left ( Z + 3i \right ) = 1 \ \ \Leftrightarrow \ \ \operatorname{Re} \left ( Z + 3i \right ) = \operatorname{Im} \left ( Z + 3i \right ) \ \ \rm ! $$
and with ##\ \operatorname{Re} ({\bf \alpha} + \beta) = \operatorname{Re} \alpha + \operatorname{Re}\beta \ \
## and ##\ \operatorname{Im} ({\bf \alpha} + \beta) = \operatorname{Im} \alpha + \operatorname{Im}\beta \ \ ## you easily find $$
\ \ \Leftrightarrow \ \ \operatorname{Re} Z = \operatorname{Im} Z + 3 $$
(## \& \ \operatorname{Re} Z > 0 \ ##) for which ##\ |Z|\ ## (or, easier, ##\ Z^*Z\ ##) is quickly minimized.

(but I admit I keep a mental image of the Argand diagram in mind)

Thanks Bvu

chwala said:
thanks for your reply though i wouldn't mind being given an alternative approach. Mathematics is'nt about answers only, it is also about understanding different approaches in solving problems, i would appreciate if there is a different approach.
for part ii) The least distance of |z| will intersect the line from point ## (0,0)## at ##90## degrees. otherwise thank you.
chwala said:

Since ##u = -3i##, the complex number ##z-u = z + 3i## is located 3 units vertically above the point ##z = x + iy##. Thus, ##z## is located 3 units vertically below the line ##y = x##, so will be on the line ##y = x - 3##. You want to find the point ##P## on that line that is closest to the origin ##(0,0)##., and that will be where the line ##y = -x## intersects the line ##y = x-3##. Do you see why?

I had already seen that bro. Thanks a lot. It infact intersects this line at 90 degrees.

Last edited:

1. What are complex numbers and why are they important in science?

Complex numbers are numbers that contain both a real part and an imaginary part. They are important in science because they allow us to solve problems that cannot be solved with only real numbers. They also have many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How do you add and subtract complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, you simply add or subtract the real and imaginary parts separately. For example, (3+2i) + (5+4i) = (3+5) + (2+4)i = 8+6i. To subtract, you do the same process but with a minus sign in front of the second complex number.

3. How do you multiply and divide complex numbers?

To multiply complex numbers, you use the FOIL method, just like with binomials. For example, (3+2i) * (5+4i) = 15 + 12i + 10i + 8i^2 = 15 + 22i - 8 = 7+22i. To divide complex numbers, you use a similar method, but you also need to rationalize the denominator by multiplying by the complex conjugate of the denominator.

4. What is the geometric interpretation of complex numbers?

The real part of a complex number represents the horizontal component and the imaginary part represents the vertical component. Thus, a complex number can be graphed on a 2-dimensional plane, with the real and imaginary axes representing the x and y axes, respectively. This allows for a geometric interpretation of operations on complex numbers, such as addition and multiplication.

5. What is the relationship between complex numbers and the complex plane?

The complex plane is a graphical representation of complex numbers, with the real and imaginary axes representing the x and y axes, respectively. Complex numbers can be plotted as points on the complex plane, with their real and imaginary parts determining their position. Addition and multiplication of complex numbers can be visualized as translations and rotations on the complex plane.