Electric field/equipotential field questions

In summary, we discussed sketching the equipotential lines and field lines for a parallel plate capacitor with infinite plate area. We also solved for the potential at a point between the plates with given distances and potentials. We learned that equipotential surfaces are always perpendicular to field lines and that the potential difference can be calculated using the equation \displaystyle \Delta V = E\cdot \Delta x. Furthermore, we discovered that the direction of the electric field is perpendicular to the equipotential lines, creating a right angle with each line.
t_n_p
Homework Statement

1. Sketch the equipotential lines and field lines between a parallel plate capacotor assumed to have infinite plate area.

2. If the distance between the plates is 0.1m, the potential of one plate is 0V and the potential of the second plate is 10V, what is the potential at a point 0.02m from the second plate?

The attempt at a solution

1. I'm pretty sure field lines would just be from one of the plates to the other, but I'm not sure about the equipotential lines.

2. Not sure how to do this one!

Physics news on Phys.org
1) Equipotential surfaces are always perpendicular to field lines.

2) [tex]\displaystyle \Delta V = E\cdot \Delta x[/tex] (for a uniform electric field)

1. something like this? (solid = field, dashed = equipotential)

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/3261/untitledwz6.png

2. 10 = E*0.02
E = 500V/m?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, except equipotential lines are continuous.

cool, I've got one more question

For this one, I need to sketch the direction of the electric field. I know they have to be perpendicular to the equipotential lines drawn, so I'm guessing its going to sort of curve slightly to make a right angle with each of the equipotential lines like such?

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/761/img0328aiu1lf4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the force exerted on an electrically charged object. It is created by other electrically charged objects and can be either attractive or repulsive.

2. How is the strength of an electric field measured?

The strength of an electric field is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m). This is a measure of the force per unit charge that an object would experience if placed in the field.

3. What is an equipotential field?

An equipotential field is a region in space where the potential at every point is the same. This means that no work is required to move a charge between points in an equipotential field. It is perpendicular to the electric field lines and represents a constant potential surface.

4. How are electric fields and equipotential fields related?

Electric fields and equipotential fields are closely related. Electric field lines always point in the direction of decreasing potential, and thus are always perpendicular to equipotential lines. The closer together the equipotential lines are, the stronger the electric field is in that region.

5. How do electric fields and equipotential fields affect charged particles?

Charged particles will experience a force when placed in an electric field, causing them to accelerate in the direction of the field. However, when placed in an equipotential field, charged particles do not experience a force and will remain at a constant potential and velocity.