Finding limit of function in 2 variables

In summary, the limit as (x,y) approaches (0,0) of sin(x^2+y^2)/(x^2+y^2) exists and is equal to 1. This can be shown by converting to polar coordinates and using the known limit of sin(u)/u as u approaches 0. Alternatively, L'Hopital's rule can be used to evaluate the limit.
TheSaxon

Homework Statement

lim as (x,y)-->(0,0) of sin(x^2+y^2)/(x^2+y^2)

Questions: Does limit exist and if so, what is it.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. The professor instructed us to convert to polar coordinates to see if result depends on theta. If it does no limit.

Conversion:

lim as r-->0 of sin(r^2 cos^2(theta) + r^2 sin^2(theta)) / (r^2 cos^2(theta) + r^2 sin^2(theta))

This I think reduces to sin(r^2)/r^2. This implies that the limit exists, correct(since the answer doesn't depend on theta)? However, this doesn't help me with actually finding the limit, as plugging in 0 still yields indeterminate 0/0. What do i do?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you notice you can make a substitution!

say u=x^2+y^2

now your limit becomes:

[tex]lim_{(x,y)->(0,0)}\frac{\sin(x^2+y^2)}{x^2+y^2}[/tex]
as (x,y)->(0,0) u->(0)
[tex]lim_{u->0} \frac{\sin u}{u}[/tex]

and well you should know sin u/u by heart xD

also you could have done the substitution from sin(r^2)/r^2 actually it's almost the same thing since (x,y)->(0,0) (r,theta)->(0,0)

and theta is nowhere in there so you have lim r->0 sin(r^2)/r^2

Last edited:
i guess I am just dumb, i didnt know that lim of sin u / u is 1. I am taking math after a 2 year hiatus :(

o well it's just a limit that sometimes comes up and when it does it's useful to know it. Also it's part of the proof of derivative of sin x.

also when you have a limit like sin(r^2)/r^2 it's a calculus 1 type limit so you can use L'Hospital's rule if you get an indeterminate form, but using it here you get 0.

dont u get 1? sin(r^2)/r^2 L'hopitaled becomes (cos(r^2)2r)/2r = cos(r^2) = 1?

Anyway, thanks for help

Last edited by a moderator:
o whops sorry i did the derivative 2x and got (2rsinr^2)/2r ><

but yes you could do it multiple ways but the substitution would be fastest since you can do it straight away.

You don't need to use L'Hopital. You know from Calc I that
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{sin(x)}{x}= 1[/tex]
Just think of r2 as x.

What is the definition of a limit for a function in 2 variables?

The limit of a function in 2 variables is the value that the function approaches as the input variables approach a certain point in the domain. In other words, it is the value that the function gets closer and closer to as the input variables get closer and closer to a specific point.

How is the limit of a function in 2 variables calculated?

The limit of a function in 2 variables is calculated by approaching the point in the domain from various directions and determining the output of the function at each approach. If the output values approach the same value, then that value is the limit of the function at that point.

Can the limit of a function in 2 variables exist even if the function is not defined at that point?

Yes, the limit of a function in 2 variables can exist even if the function is not defined at that point. This is because the limit is calculated by approaching the point from various directions, not necessarily by evaluating the function at that point.

What is the difference between a limit and a value of a function at a specific point?

The limit of a function in 2 variables is a theoretical concept that describes the behavior of the function as the input variables approach a specific point. The value of a function at a specific point is the actual output of the function when the input variables are equal to that point. The limit and value can be the same or different, depending on the function and the point in question.

How can finding the limit of a function in 2 variables be useful in real-world applications?

Finding the limit of a function in 2 variables can be useful in predicting the behavior of a system or process as the input variables approach a certain point. This can be applied in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to make predictions and optimize systems. It can also help in understanding the continuity and differentiability of a function at a certain point.