Calculate Mass of Planet with Density 4950 kg/m3 and Velocity 3.55 km/s

• Thread starter clockworks204
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass Planet
In summary, the mass of the newly found planet with a density of 4950 kg/m3 and an orbital speed of 3.55 km/s can be calculated using the formula m = sqrt(V^6)/(G^3*density*4/3*pi), which results in an estimated mass of 3.3*10^47 kg. However, there may have been an error in the calculation process and further review is recommended. Latex can be used for easier notation in future calculations.
clockworks204
1. A newly found planet with a density of 4950 kg/m3 has no atmosphere and is orbited by a low altitude satellite with an orbital speed of 3.55 km/s. What is the mass of the planet?

2. density*velocity=mass
G= 6.67E-11

3. After a process of equations, I ended up with mass= sqrt(V^6)/(G^3*density*4/3*pi). Subbing in the values and converting 3.55 km/s to 3550 m/s, I get sqrt(3550^6)/(6.67E-11)^3(4950)(4/3*3.14) to get an answer of 3.3*10^47 kg

This isn't the right answer, and I'm not sure where I screwed up. Much appreciated..

Physics news on Phys.org
clockworks204 said:
3. After a process of equations, I ended up with mass= sqrt(V^6)/(G^3*density*4/3*pi). Subbing in the values and converting 3.55 km/s to 3550 m/s, I get sqrt(3550^6)/(6.67E-11)^3(4950)(4/3*3.14) to get an answer of 3.3*10^47 kg

This isn't the right answer, and I'm not sure where I screwed up. Much appreciated..

You might try to process the equation again. If you show your work we can help more.

As you have written your formula, the only thing under the √ sign is the v6 term. According to my calculations, there should be more than that. Although it might just be your typing notation. Perhaps [itex] \LaTeX [/itex] would be of good use here.

For your convenience I have written your calculated formula in LaTeX (from what I think you meant, anyway -- it's difficult to tell with just text):

[tex] m = \frac{\sqrt{v^6}}{\frac{4}{3}G^3 \pi \rho} [/tex]

You might wish to modify that formula.

[Edit: If you don't know [itex] \LaTeX [/itex], but whould like to use my equation as an example, click on it and it should open up the LaTeX code which you can copy, and modify in your own post. Or, we can just stick with normal text if [itex] \LaTeX [/itex] doesn't suit you. Alternately, you can click on the "[itex] \Sigma [/itex]" symbol in the upper right hand corner of the editing toolbox (make sure you "Go Advanded" if you don't see it), and there is a menu there that you can use to generate LaTeX code from items on the menu.]

Last edited:
Yep you caught my error. I simply missed taking the square root of the solution because there was quite a bit going on. I'll try using Latex next time...I was unaware of it. Thank for you help collinsmark.

1. How do you calculate the mass of a planet with a given density and velocity?

To calculate the mass of a planet, you can use the formula: Mass = (4/3) * pi * density * radius^3 where the radius is equal to the velocity divided by the planet's rotation rate. In this case, the density is given as 4950 kg/m3 and the velocity is 3.55 km/s.

2. Can you explain the significance of the density and velocity in calculating the mass of a planet?

The density of a planet is the measure of how much mass is contained in a certain volume. In this case, the density of the planet is given as 4950 kg/m3. The velocity, on the other hand, is the speed at which the planet is moving, in this case, 3.55 km/s. These two values are used to determine the planet's mass through the aforementioned formula.

3. Is the calculated mass of a planet accurate?

The calculated mass of a planet is an estimate and may not be entirely accurate due to various factors such as the planet's irregular shape, varying density throughout the planet, and other gravitational influences. However, it provides a good approximation of the planet's mass.

4. How do you convert the given velocity from km/s to m/s?

To convert km/s to m/s, you can multiply the velocity by 1000. In this case, the velocity of 3.55 km/s would be converted to 3550 m/s.

5. Can this formula be used to calculate the mass of any planet?

Yes, this formula can be used to calculate the mass of any planet as long as you have the values for density and velocity. However, it may not be as accurate for planets with significantly different densities or velocities compared to Earth.