Finding Orbital Period of Unknown Planet

In summary: Thanks.In summary, without more information, you are unable to solve for the radius of the planet, the mass of the planet, or the escape velocity.
tristanslater

Homework Statement

A satellite is in circular orbit at an altitude of 800 km above the surface of a nonrotating planet with an orbital speed of 3.7 km/s. The minimum speed needed to escape from the surface of the planet is 9.8 km/s, and G = 6.67 × 10-11 N · m2/kg2. The orbital period of the satellite is closest to

Homework Equations

This question is supposed to be related to Kepler's law, so I imagine it has something to do with:

##k = \frac{T^2}{R^3}##

Another period equation I've tried:

##T = \frac{2\pi\sqrt{R}^3}{\sqrt{GM}}##

I think energy is going to factor in somehow, so:

##K = \frac{1}{2}mv^2## and ##U = \frac{GMm}{R}##

And escape velocity is given, so maybe:

##v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{R}}##

The Attempt at a Solution

Everything I try, it seems like there is not enough information.

I tried starting with:

##T = \frac{2\pi\sqrt{R}^3}{\sqrt{GM}}##

Then I solved the escape velocity formula for ##\sqrt{GM}##:

##\sqrt{GM} = v_e\sqrt{\frac{R}{2}}##

This way I can sub it into the perio equation:

##T = \frac{2\pi\sqrt{r}^3}{v_e\sqrt{\frac{R}{2}}}##

Simplifying I get:

##T = \frac{2\pi R\sqrt{2}}{v_e}##

This gets rid of most of the unknowns, but it still contains R, which we don't know. This is where I get stuck. How can we find a substitution for R?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have not used the information on the orbital velocity. Without it there would indeed be too little information.

Orodruin said:
You have not used the information on the orbital velocity. Without it there would indeed be too little information.

I would love to use the velocity, but I can't seem to find a way to incorporate both velocities. I could use ##T = \frac{2\pi R}{v}##, but I'm still stuck with ##R##. I've tried working around other equations, but it always seems that without either the radius of the planet or the mass of the planet, I reach a dead end. This kind of makes intuitive sense as well. If the size of the planet went down, the satellite would be closer to the center of gravity, but if the mass also went down, the speed could stay the same. Same with escape velocity. We don't know where the surface is, so it doesn't give us much information. It seems like one of those factors is crucial. Or is there some relationship between the escape velocity and orbital velocity that tells us something?

Thanks.

So you have two equations and two unknowns. This is a solvable system.

Also note that the escape velocity is not given at the same radius as the satellite.

Orodruin said:

Also note that the escape velocity is not given at the same radius as the satellite.

Orodruin said:

Oops, you're right, I overlooked the difference in radius. The escape velocity is at ##R##, and the orbital velocity is at ##R+h##, and we know ##h##, so that maintains the number of unknowns. I'm not sure we can use those two equations as a system though, because they are the same relationship. I think we need another relationship. I tried ##a = \frac{v^2}{R}##, but that just introduces ##a##.

Can someone give me a little guidance?

Thank you.

But you already have two relations relating T and R in terms of known variables! Why do you want more?

1. How do you find the orbital period of an unknown planet?

The orbital period of a planet can be calculated using Kepler's Third Law, which states that the square of the orbital period is directly proportional to the cube of the semi-major axis of the orbit. This means that if you know the semi-major axis of the orbit and the mass of the central star, you can calculate the orbital period of the planet.

2. What is the semi-major axis of an orbit?

The semi-major axis is the distance from the center of the orbit to the farthest point of the orbit, also known as the apogee. This distance is usually measured in astronomical units (AU) or kilometers (km).

3. How do you determine the mass of the central star?

The mass of the central star can be determined using the orbital period of the planet and the distance between the planet and the star. This can be done using Newton's form of Kepler's Third Law, which states that the mass of the central star is directly proportional to the cube of the orbital period divided by the square of the distance between the planet and the star.

4. What other factors can affect the orbital period of a planet?

Besides the mass of the central star and the distance between the planet and the star, other factors that can affect the orbital period of a planet include the eccentricity of the orbit, the presence of other planets in the system, and external gravitational forces from nearby stars or galaxies.

5. Can the orbital period of a planet change over time?

Yes, the orbital period of a planet can change over time due to the influence of other objects in the system or external forces. This is known as orbital evolution and can lead to changes in the shape and distance of the orbit, ultimately affecting the orbital period.