Solved, i think (S is linearly indep. iff every finite ss of S is linearly indep.

In summary, S is linearly independent when every finite subset of S is linearly independent. Your logic for proving this statement is sound, and there is no need to distinguish between finite and infinite subsets of S.
bennyska

Homework Statement

S is linearly independent iff every finite subset of S is linearly independent.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

letting S be linearly independent is pretty easy. i am slightly worried about my logic for the other way though. it goes like this:

Let every finite subset of S be linearly independent. Let S not be linearly independent. Then there exists a v in S such that v is a linearly combination of finitely other vectors in S. put them into a subset. Then this finite subset is not linearly independent, contrary to our assumptions. Hence this v does not exist, and S is linearly independent.

i'm not sure if it makes sense to say v could be a linear combo of an infinite number of vectors in S (because S may be infinite).

Physics news on Phys.org
i'm also not sure if i need to make a distinction between finite and infinite subsets of S. any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Hello there! Your logic seems sound to me. You are correct in saying that v cannot be a linear combination of an infinite number of vectors in S, as S is a finite set. So, your assumption that S is not linearly independent leads to a contradiction, and therefore, S must be linearly independent.

As for your question about distinguishing between finite and infinite subsets of S, I don't think it is necessary in this case. Since S is a finite set, we can simply say that every finite subset of S is linearly independent, without specifying the size of the subset.

Overall, your solution is well thought out and presented. Keep up the good work!

What does "Solved, i think (S is linearly indep. iff every finite ss of S is linearly indep." mean?

This statement is a theorem in linear algebra that states that a set of vectors S is linearly independent if and only if every finite subset of S is also linearly independent.

How is this theorem useful in scientific research?

This theorem is useful in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and computer science. It can help determine the linear independence of vectors in a system, which is important in analyzing the behavior and relationships between different variables.

Can you give an example of how this theorem can be applied in real-world situations?

One example is in analyzing the motion of a particle in physics. The linear independence of position, velocity, and acceleration vectors can be determined using this theorem to understand the movement of the particle and make predictions about its future behavior.

What are some implications of this theorem?

This theorem has several implications, including the fact that if a set of vectors is linearly dependent, it can be reduced to a linearly independent set by removing any redundant vectors. It also helps in solving systems of linear equations and understanding the relationships between different variables in a system.

Is there any limitation to this theorem?

One limitation of this theorem is that it only applies to finite sets of vectors. It cannot be used to determine the linear independence of an infinite set of vectors. Additionally, it assumes that the vectors are defined over a field, which may not always be the case in certain applications.