How to Approach Projectile Motion on an Inclined Surface?

• Thread starter Pepsi24chevy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dynamics
In summary, the individual is seeking urgent help with two dynamics problems, specifically problem 11.9 and problem 11.15. They are struggling with understanding how to set up the problem of a projectile shooting at an angle from an incline surface. They mention needing to find the acceleration and velocity of each component and then finding t and d, but the incline is causing confusion. In response, someone advises that the projectile's trajectory can be found in the same way as if the incline wasn't there, and the point of intersection between a straight line and parabola is needed to determine where it hits. The individual is also advised to share their own thoughts before receiving further help.
Pepsi24chevy
urgent help with 2 dynamics problems

Hey guys, here are some problems i need help with bad. For 11.9 I got no idea what i am doing here. Here is 11.9:

Here is 11.15. Here i know how to do a problem with basically a projectile shooting at an angle from the ground but not of one from an incline surface. How would i set this up different? I believe i got to do the acceleration and velocity of each components and then find t, and then i can find d, but that incline is throwing me off. ANy help is appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Pepsi24chevy said:
Here i know how to do a problem with basically a projectile shooting at an angle from the ground but not of one from an incline surface. How would i set this up different?

Remember that the projectile doesn't care that the incline is there until it actually hits it. That means that you can find the trajectory of the particle in just the same was as you would if the incline wasn't there. Then to find where it hits you just need to find the point of intersection of a straight line and a parabola.

When you've posted some of your own thoughts on the other problem, then I will too. But not before. :wink:

Hi there, I am happy to assist you with these dynamics problems. For problem 11.9, it would be helpful if you could provide more information on the specific problem or concept you are struggling with. Without that, I am unable to provide a specific solution. However, in general, it may be helpful to review the equations of motion and how to use them to solve problems involving acceleration, velocity, and displacement.

For problem 11.15, you are correct in thinking that you need to consider the acceleration and velocity of each component separately. To account for the incline, you will need to break the initial velocity into its horizontal and vertical components, and then consider how the incline will affect the horizontal component. You can use the trigonometric functions of the angle of the incline to help you with this.

I would also suggest reviewing the concept of relative motion and how it applies to projectiles on an incline. This may help you set up the problem differently and solve it more easily.

I hope this helps and good luck with your problems! Let me know if you need further clarification or assistance.

1. What are the two types of dynamics problems?

The two types of dynamics problems are static and dynamic. Static problems involve objects at rest or in equilibrium, while dynamic problems involve objects in motion.

2. How do I solve a dynamics problem?

To solve a dynamics problem, you must first understand the forces acting on the object and then apply Newton's laws of motion. You may also need to use other equations, such as those related to work and energy, to fully solve the problem.

3. What is the difference between kinematics and dynamics?

Kinematics is the study of motion without considering the forces that cause it, while dynamics is the study of motion taking into account the forces that cause it. In other words, kinematics deals with the "what" of motion, while dynamics deals with the "why."

4. Can you give an example of a dynamics problem?

One example of a dynamics problem is calculating the acceleration of a car as it travels up a hill. This would involve considering the forces acting on the car, such as gravity, friction, and the car's engine, to determine its acceleration.

5. What are some common units used in dynamics problems?

Some common units used in dynamics problems include meters (m) for displacement, meters per second (m/s) for velocity, meters per second squared (m/s^2) for acceleration, and Newtons (N) for force. Other units may also be used depending on the specific problem.