How to approach dynamics problems?

In summary, the setup for this problem is different than a typical kinematics problem, but the methodology for solving it is the same.
cancerman1
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
TL;DR Summary: How do I approach the setup of this problem? It seems very different than a setup for a kinematics problem

I'm self studying first year mechanics and am having a hard time with the following problem (screenshot attached). The example is from Intro to Mechanics by K&K.

I'm clear on the steps for setting up and solving kinematics problems (i.e. isolate mass, draw force diagrams, define coordinate system, write equations of motion, etc.), but dynamics problems seem very different. I'd appreciate guidance on how to think about these types of problems

Attachments

• physics 4.7.png
    physics 4.7.png
    39.8 KB · Views: 47
Physics news on Phys.org
Study a bit further and learn the Hamilton formalism, and everything gets a lot simpler ;-).

Is that really in order at that point in the K&K curriculum ?

Likes PeroK
The issue is that there is more than one way of setting up this dynamics problem, and neither is necessarily preferred over the other. So let's try it your usual way, and see how it can be converted to their way.

The tension in the spring at any time is given by ##T=k(r_b-r_a-l)##where ##l=r_{b0}-r_{a0}## where the subscript 0 represent the values at time zero. If we do a force balance on each of the blocks individually, we have $$m\frac{d^2r_a}{dt^2}=k(r_b-r_a-l)$$and$$m\frac{d^2r_b}{dt^2}=-k(r_b-r_a-l)$$These are subject to the initial conditions that ##\frac{dr_a}{dt}=v_0## and ##\frac{dr_b}{dt}=0## at t=0. Ok so far?

Likes MatinSAR, PeroK, cancerman1 and 1 other person
Yes, thank you - your starting point makes it so much clearer versus example 4.7 which starts with the center of mass.

I can logically reason why the setup would be as noted above - a force is applied to block a, and then blocks a and b accelerate from rest but is connected by a spring so that force needs to be accounted for...

cancerman1 said:
Yes, thank you - your starting point makes it so much clearer versus example 4.7 which starts with the center of mass.

I can logically reason why the setup would be as noted above - a force is applied to block a, and then blocks a and b accelerate from rest but is connected by a spring so that force needs to be accounted for...
So we're done here, or you'd like me to continue?

Likes MatinSAR
Yes, this should be good for this specific problem.

To generalize a methodology and approach, it's best to start with forces acting on discrete systems and writing up force equations - which is not dissimilar to how one would solve a kinematics problem... would you say that's correct?

cancerman1 said:
Yes, this should be good for this specific problem.

To generalize a methodology and approach, it's best to start with forces acting on discrete systems and writing up force equations - which is not dissimilar to how one would solve a kinematics problem... would you say that's correct?
I would have used the CoM reference frame automatically. I wouldn't have given it a second thought.

That immediately makes the problem symmetric. Conservation of momentum does the rest.

Likes MatinSAR, BvU, vanhees71 and 2 others
PeroK said:
I would have used the CoM reference frame automatically. I wouldn't have given it a second thought.

That immediately makes the problem symmetric. Conservation of momentum does the rest.
That's helpful framing. I better understand the rationale for the setup in this example. Appreciate it

Likes vanhees71 and PeroK

1. What is the first step in approaching a dynamics problem?

The first step in approaching a dynamics problem is to clearly understand the given information and identify what is being asked. This will help you determine which equations and principles to apply.

2. How can I simplify a complex dynamics problem?

One way to simplify a complex dynamics problem is to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. This can be done by drawing diagrams, identifying key variables, and considering different scenarios.

3. How do I choose the appropriate equations for a dynamics problem?

The appropriate equations for a dynamics problem depend on the given information and the type of problem. It is important to understand the basic principles and laws of motion, such as Newton's laws, and use them to select the relevant equations.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving dynamics problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving dynamics problems include not considering all forces acting on an object, using incorrect signs for forces, and not properly accounting for acceleration due to gravity. It is important to carefully analyze the problem and double-check your calculations.

5. How can I check if my solution to a dynamics problem is correct?

One way to check if your solution to a dynamics problem is correct is to plug your values into the original equations and see if they balance out. Additionally, you can compare your solution to the expected outcome or use real-world examples to validate your answer.