What is going on with my Latex posts?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter DrRocket
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, the conversation discusses difficulties with using LaTeX code in posts. The speaker mentions that the code they enter does not appear correctly in the preview and that even after trying to make changes, the incorrect graphics still appear. They also suggest that there may be a need to clear cookies or log out, but these solutions do not seem to work. Additionally, they suggest that the solution be prominently displayed in the LaTeX primer.
DrRocket
Perhaps someone can explain to me what is going on.

I seem to be having extreme difficulty with posts involving LATex code.

I am not LaTex expert, but this is ridiculous.

There appears to be no resemblance between the Latex code that I enter and what appears when I attempt to preview the post.

For instance, I prepare code to produce an integral, and that code is right before my eyes in the composition pane. Then I click "preview" and what I see is some algebraic sum from a thread that I particpated in yesterday.

Or I make a mistake and change the code, and when I click "preview" the old, incorrect graphics, appears.

To make matters worse, if I give up and just hit "enter", what appears in the thread is neither what I saw in the preview nor what is reflected by the Tex code.

I there some sort of memory or cookie that I need to clear? Logging out (including shutting down my computer) and coming back does not seem to correct the problem. It is rather like the machine is haunted. I am becoming fond of pencil and paper.

Physics news on Phys.org
Click here for the answer.

Any admins reading this: this question pops up quite regularly. Can't we have the answer prominently displayed somewhere, so people don't have to keep asking?

DrGreg said:
Click here for the answer.

Any admins reading this: this question pops up quite regularly. Can't we have the answer prominently displayed somewhere, so people don't have to keep asking?

Thanks.

Putting the notice in the LaTex primer might be a good idea. That is where I first looked to see if there was something obvious that I was missing.

Related to What is going on with my Latex posts?

1. What is Latex and why is it used in posts?

Latex is a typesetting language commonly used in scientific and mathematical fields to format equations and symbols. It is used in posts to display complex equations and mathematical expressions in a clear and readable format.

2. Why does my Latex code not display correctly in my post?

There could be a few reasons for this. First, make sure you are using the correct syntax for Latex. Also, check if the Latex package is enabled on your platform. If it is, try clearing your browser's cache and reloading the page. If the issue persists, there may be a problem with the Latex renderer on the platform.

3. Can I use Latex in all types of posts?

Not all platforms support Latex in their post editor. It is best to check with the platform's guidelines or support team to see if Latex is allowed in your posts.

4. How do I learn how to use Latex in my posts?

There are many online resources and tutorials available for learning Latex. Some platforms may also have their own guides on how to use Latex in posts. It may take some practice, but with time you can become proficient in using Latex.

5. Is there an alternative to using Latex in my posts?

Yes, there are other typesetting languages and tools available for formatting equations and symbols, such as MathJax and KaTeX. These may have different syntax and capabilities compared to Latex, so it is important to check with the platform on what is supported before using them in your posts.