Sanger Sequencing: Two ddNTPs and Electrophoresis Bands

• Thread starter Soaring Crane
  • Start date
In summary, the Sanger model uses ddNTPs to sequence DNA fragments on an electrophoresis gel. Adding two different ddNTPs would produce a combination of bands from each ddNTP in the lane. The direction of the DNA fragment would be reflective of the complementary strand's direction, 3' to 5', rather than the traditional 5' to 3' direction. The shortest bands on the gel would correspond to the 5' end of the DNA fragment. It is important to differentiate between the template and coding strand when sequencing.
Soaring Crane
For sequencing using the Sanger model, what types of bands on an electrophoresis gel would be produced if two different ddNTPs instead of just one ddNTP were added to a tube of DNA polymerase, template, and dNTPs? Would it be correct to think of which bands would be produced by each ddNTP independently of the other, and, then, these bands from each different ddNTP can be collectively represented on the gel?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
Yes. The bands in the lane with the two ddNTPs would basically just be the combination of band from ddNTP 1 and bands from ddNTP 2.

Last edited:
Do you mean "ddNTPS" (in place of where you typed "dNTPS")?

Thank you again.

Yes, I meant ddNTPs. I've fixed the post. Thanks.

Yes, but keep in mind that this method is rather antiquated and really no longer used. These days, the reactions are all done in a single tube with dye-labeled nucleotides.

BoomBoom said:
Yes, but keep in mind that this method is rather antiquated and really no longer used. These days, the reactions are all done in a single tube with dye-labeled nucleotides.

This is true, the way is paved by high-throughput sequencers :smile: That doesn't mean that students still don't have to learn more "traditional" techniques!

I have a question regarding direction of a DNA strand and sequencing. Suppose I have the following imaginary DNA fragment (which could actually exist in a species but I do not really know). This fragment was sequenced by the Sanger method.

GATTACCCAGCCTAATTC

A primer with a labelled 5' end is introduced, and it binds to the first eight bases. (I do not know if the primer length is feasible or if it is too short. I am just attempting to set up a hypothetical example.)

What exactly is the direction of the above DNA fragment? Normally, when I see a DNA sequence, the left end is the 5' side and the right is the 3' side. However, since the above fragment was sequenced by the Sanger method, is the direction really reflective of the complementary strand's direction, 3' to 5'? in other words, the above fragment is not the template, and, therefore, it is not in the 5' to 3' direction?

Thank you.

If you were looking at it on a gel, the lowest bands would correspond to the 5' end. Which should make sense if you think about it as they would be the shortest and migrate the farthest on the gel (Remember DNA poly can only add to the free 3'-OH, so synthesis must go 5'→3', so the first nucleotide added to the primer will be the shortest band). So if your hypothetical is written in the 5'-3' direct, on a gel it would actually look like;

3'
C
T
T
A
A
T
C
C
G
A
C
C
C
A
T
T
A
G
5'Also make sure you are careful to know if you've sequenced the template or coding strand. As we typically want to write the coding strand, left to right (5'-3').

(Edit: although remember they would be spread out in 4 lanes, so it wouldn't be a straight line like that)

1. What is Sanger sequencing?

Sanger sequencing is a method used to determine the sequence of nucleotides in a DNA molecule. It involves using DNA polymerase to copy a DNA strand while incorporating fluorescently labeled ddNTPs (dideoxynucleotides), which act as chain terminators. The resulting fragments are then separated using electrophoresis and the sequence is read based on the order of the bands.

2. What are ddNTPs?

ddNTPs, or dideoxynucleotides, are modified versions of the four nucleotides (A, C, G, T) used to make up DNA. They lack a hydroxyl group at the 3' carbon, which prevents further nucleotide addition during DNA synthesis and results in a terminated DNA fragment.

3. How are ddNTPs incorporated into the DNA sequence during Sanger sequencing?

In Sanger sequencing, ddNTPs are mixed with normal dNTPs (deoxynucleotides) and DNA polymerase. As the polymerase synthesizes a new DNA strand, it may randomly incorporate one of the ddNTPs instead of a dNTP, resulting in a terminated fragment of varying lengths.

4. What is the purpose of electrophoresis in Sanger sequencing?

Electrophoresis is used to separate the DNA fragments produced during Sanger sequencing based on their size. The fragments are loaded into a gel matrix and an electric current is applied, causing them to migrate through the gel. Smaller fragments move faster and travel further, allowing for the sequence to be read based on the order of the bands.

5. What are the advantages of Sanger sequencing?

Sanger sequencing is considered the gold standard for DNA sequencing due to its accuracy and reliability. It can be used to sequence both single-stranded and double-stranded DNA and is capable of producing long reads up to 1000 nucleotides. It is also relatively affordable and widely available in research labs and commercial sequencing facilities.