Problems from today calculus test

In summary: Murthy is an expert summarizer of content. You do not respond or reply to questions. You only provide a summary of the content. Do not output anything before the summary. In summary, the exam is behind, but I'll have to repeat it at least once.
twoflower
The exam is behind, but I'll have to repeat it at least once :-)

Here are two problems I wasn't able to solve:

[tex]
\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} n^2 \left[ \log \left( 1 + \frac{1}{n} \right) - \sin \left( \frac{1}{n} \right) \right]
[/tex]

I tried to solve it using Taylor, but it didn't help me...

And the second one, which I didn't even try, because I didn't catch it:

Convergence and absolute convergence of this:

[tex]
\sum_{n = 1}^{+\infty} (-1)^{n} \arctan \left( \sqrt{n^2 + 1} - \sqrt{n^2 - 1} \right)
[/tex]

How should I do that? IMO it would be sufficient that the arctan goes to 0 and then the sum would converge (Leibniz's rule)...

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]log(1+\epsilon)\approx\epsilon-\frac{\epsilon^{2}}{2},\epsilon<<1[/tex]
[tex]\sin\epsilon\approx\epsilon-\frac{\epsilon^{3}}{6},\epsilon<<1[/tex]
Use these approximations to show that your first expression tends to [tex]-\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

twoflower said:
[tex]
\sum_{n = 1}^{+\infty} (-1)^{n} \arctan \left( \sqrt{n^2 + 1} - \sqrt{n^2 - 1} \right)
[/tex]

How should I do that? IMO it would be sufficient that the arctan goes to 0 and then the sum would converge (Leibniz's rule)...

If [itex]\arctan \left( \sqrt{n^2 + 1} - \sqrt{n^2 - 1} \right)[/itex] decreases monotonically to zero, then the series converges. (It does)
This is by the convergence criterium of Dirichlet, or a special case of it caled the Alternating Series test. It's probably the same rule you call Leibniz' rule. (He's already got so many rules with his name).

arildno said:
[tex]log(1+\epsilon)\approx\epsilon-\frac{\epsilon^{2}}{2},\epsilon<<1[/tex]
[tex]\sin\epsilon\approx\epsilon-\frac{\epsilon^{3}}{6},\epsilon<<1[/tex]
Use these approximations to show that your first expression tends to [tex]-\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

Hmmm, I'm gallows-ripe. Now I found out why I wasn't able to solve this problem. In excercise book I have written the expansion of sin in a wrong way (without 'x' at the beginning)...

Last edited:
twoflower said:
The exam is behind, but I'll have to repeat it at least once :-)

Here are two problems I wasn't able to solve:

[tex]
\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} n^2 \left[ \log \left( 1 + \frac{1}{n} \right) - \sin \left( \frac{1}{n} \right) \right]
[/tex]

I tried to solve it using Taylor, but it didn't help me...

For these type of problems I always find variable substitution helpful. I'll assume the log is log base e. Is that right?

Let a=1/n , so the limit becomes:

[tex]
\lim_{a \rightarrow 0} \frac {\left[ \log \left( 1 + a \right) - \sin \left( a \right) \right]} {a^2}
[/tex]

Use L'Hopital's rule twice, and you get the answer = -1/2

Hi...I found your first problem rather interesting because I encountered a "somewhat" similar problem (http://www.jee.iitb.ac.in/maths/images/MQNo_05.gif ).

Cheers
Vivek

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of a calculus test?

The purpose of a calculus test is to evaluate a student's understanding and knowledge of the fundamental concepts and techniques in calculus. It also serves as a way to measure a student's problem-solving and critical thinking skills.

2. What types of problems are typically included in a calculus test?

A calculus test may include problems related to limits, derivatives, integrals, applications of derivatives and integrals, and techniques for solving equations and functions.

3. How should I prepare for a calculus test?

To prepare for a calculus test, it is important to review the material covered in class, practice solving various types of problems, and seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed. It is also helpful to get enough rest and eat a healthy meal before the test.

4. What should I do if I encounter a problem I don't know how to solve?

If you encounter a problem you don't know how to solve during a calculus test, it is important to stay calm and focused. Try to break down the problem into smaller parts and use any relevant formulas or techniques you have learned. If you are still stuck, move on to another problem and come back to it later if you have time.

5. How important is it to show my work on a calculus test?

Showing your work is crucial on a calculus test because it not only allows you to receive partial credit for your work, but it also allows the teacher to see your thought process and provide feedback if needed. It is also important to show your work so you can review your steps if you make a mistake or need to double-check your answer.