Calculating tension in cable

In summary, to solve for the tension in the cable when given mass and acceleration, use Newton's second law of motion. To solve for mass when given initial speed, air resistance, time, and speed, use a kinematical equation for displacement and Newton's second law of motion.
AFG34
1.the mass and acceleration is given and asks for tension in cable. What is a formula i could use.
2.in another question initial speed, air resistance, time and speed is given, what is a formula i could use for this question to solve for mass.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Look up Newton's laws of motion.

2. It would be great to present the whole problem.

1. An elevator of mass of 900 kg accelerates upwads at 3 m/s^2. What is the tension in the cable where it is attatched to the elevator?

2. A parachutist jumps out of an airplane at an initial speed of 2m/s down. There is a force of air resistance equivalent to 305 N. Determine the mass of the parachutist if it takes 3 seconds to travel 30 m down.

So his speed is 10 m/s. And i dnt know anything else:frown:

As mentioned above, look up Newton's second law of motion. Part 1 is very simple. Part 2 includes a kinematical equation, i.e. the equation of displacement, from which you will obtain the acceleration.

ok, thank you , appreciate it

1. What is tension in a cable?

Tension in a cable refers to the amount of force that is pulling the cable in opposite directions. It is often measured in pounds or newtons.

2. How is tension calculated in a cable?

Tension in a cable can be calculated using the formula T = (F * L)/A, where T is tension, F is force, L is the length of the cable, and A is the cross-sectional area of the cable.

3. What factors can affect tension in a cable?

The tension in a cable can be affected by the amount of force being applied, the length and elasticity of the cable, and the angle at which the cable is being pulled.

4. How is tension distributed in a cable system?

In a cable system, tension is distributed evenly throughout the entire length of the cable. This means that the tension will be the same at every point along the cable.

5. Can tension in a cable be negative?

Yes, tension in a cable can be negative if the force pulling on the cable is in the opposite direction of the tension. This can happen in situations where the cable is being compressed rather than stretched.