Implicit Differentiation of Cylinder NOT given radius?

In summary, the conversation discusses using implicit differentiation to solve for the rate of change of the surface area of a circular pond formed by water bubbling up in a backyard. The relevant equations are V=πr^2h and SA=2πrh, and by solving for r in the V equation and substituting it into the SA equation, the rate of change of surface area with respect to time can be found.
banfill_89
Implicit Differentiation of Cylinder NOT given radius?

Homework Statement

Question: Digging in his backyard, Dennis accidentally breaks a pipe attached to his water sprinkling system. water bubbles up at a rate of 1 cm^3/s, forming a circular pond of depth 0.5cm in his yard. How quickly is the surface area of the pond covering his lawn?

Given: dV/dT= 1
depth= 0.5cm

RTF: dSA/Dt

Homework Equations

V= pi&r^2&h
SA= 2pi&r&h + 2pi&r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

i attempted a lot of things...i just always end up with the same problem: i don't know what r is or i can't find a way to relate r to anything.

Physics news on Phys.org
you don't actually need r at all.

[tex] V=Sh[/tex] this is the formula for calculating the volume of a cylindrical shape right? S- surface area, h- depth.
Use this info to find [tex] \frac{dS}{dt}[/tex] using the info you were given.

Welcome to PF!

banfill_89 said:

Homework Equations

V= pi&r^2&h
SA= 2pi&r&h + 2pi&r^2

Hi banfill_89! Welcome to PF! :smile:

First, you've missed out one relevant equation … what is V in terms of t?

And your SA equation is wrong … you're asked how fast the lawn is being covered. so you don't need the sides of the cylinder. And it's πr^2, not 2πr^2.
i attempted a lot of things...i just always end up with the same problem: i don't know what r is or i can't find a way to relate r to anything.

You have two equations for r … so you solve for r in the V equation (that is, you put "r =" on the left), and then you substitute that value of r into the SA equation.

You now have an SA equation with t but no r! :smile:

thanks

agh thanks a lot guys. i was heading in that direction too but my surface area equation was screwing me up. thanks for puttin me in the right direction

1. What is implicit differentiation of a cylinder?

Implicit differentiation of a cylinder is a mathematical technique used to find the derivative of a function that is not explicitly expressed in terms of a single variable. It involves taking the derivative of both sides of an equation with respect to the variable of interest.

2. When is implicit differentiation of a cylinder used?

Implicit differentiation of a cylinder is typically used when the equation of the cylinder is given in terms of two variables, such as x and y, and the radius is not explicitly stated. It allows us to find the derivative of the cylinder's equation with respect to one of the variables, without having to solve for the other variable.

3. What is the general formula for implicit differentiation of a cylinder?

The general formula for implicit differentiation of a cylinder is dV/dx = (dV/dr) * (dr/dx), where V is the volume of the cylinder, r is the radius, and x is the variable with respect to which we are taking the derivative.

4. How do you find the derivative of a cylinder using implicit differentiation?

To find the derivative of a cylinder using implicit differentiation, we first take the derivative of both sides of the equation with respect to the variable of interest. Then, we substitute in the values for the derivative of the cylinder's volume with respect to its radius and the derivative of the radius with respect to the variable. Finally, we simplify the resulting equation to find the derivative of the cylinder's volume with respect to the given variable.

5. Are there any limitations or special cases when using implicit differentiation for a cylinder?

Yes, there are some limitations and special cases when using implicit differentiation for a cylinder. For example, if the cylinder's equation is not in the standard form (x^2 + y^2 = r^2), the process of implicit differentiation may become more complicated. Additionally, implicit differentiation may not be applicable for finding the derivative of a cylinder's equation if it involves multiple variables raised to different powers.